Thursday, February 27, 2020

In the Celtic Tradition



Yesterday began the ecclesiastical season of Lent, a Christian time of self-examination and prayer. This year I will focus my meditations on the Celtic Daily Prayer Book, which offers prayers and readings from the Northumbria Community. There are many beautiful prayers and poems in this collection, and I will share a few here in hope that you will find peace and beauty in them also.

Image by hbieser from Pixabay

I am not sure of the author of this prayer/poem. It may have been St. Patrick, or it may have been another of the celtic saints. In any case, I commend these beautiful words to you.



I bind unto myself today
the virtues of the starlit heaven
the glorious sun's life-giving ray,
the whiteness of the moon at even,
the flashing of the lightning free,
the whirling wind's tempestuous shocks,
the stable earth, the deep salt sea,
around the old eternal rocks.

I bind unto myself today
the power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, His might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need,
the wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide, His shield to ward;
the word of God to give me speech,
His heavenly host to be my guard.

Blessings all...


No comments:

Post a Comment