Friday, February 14, 2020

Happy Valentine's Day to the Robin

I had a flock of robins in my yard yesterday... a fun prelude to Valentine's Day and some vintage robin poems:


AMRO_022411_25_620 COC



Little Robin Redbreast
Sat upon a tree,
Up went the Pussy-Cat,
And down went he;
Down came Pussy-Cat,
Away Robin ran,
Says little Robin Redbreast—
Catch me if you can.






You have to go way back to remember this one:

When the red red robin
Comes bob bob bobbin' along, along
There'll be no more sobbin' when he starts singin'
His old sweet song

Wake up, wake up you sleepyhead
Get up, get up, get out of bed
Cheer up, cheer up... there's life ahead
So live, love, laugh and be happy!

Have a Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!  You can find all the kidlit poetry gang at Linda Baie's today:


8 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your playful robin poem, Karen. I'm anxiously waiting for the robins to appear in our yard again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember that first one, very cute, but I do know the second one, an old song for sure that we used to sing! Happy Valentine's Day, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robins.such cheery birds. I knew some of the lines for Red, red robin. But some were new to me. Interesting how songs/rhymes change as they get passed around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness...I remember Little Robin Redbreast! Or, at least I think I do. Gosh, you sent me waaaaaaaay back into my childhood. How fun! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a bright, cheery post--just like robins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray for the first robins of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that second one! We had it on a record when I was a little girl, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful poems Karen, always happy to hear of Robins that are out and moving about, thanks!

    ReplyDelete