Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Over the Moon!

What a great time I had last weekend at the Highlights Boyd's Mill Barn Poet's Retreat.
I am still over the moon!


Thanks to Georgia Heard and Rebecca Kai Dotlich for hosting a lovely retreat. Such a lovely spot, such good company, such fun talking about poetry. I saw peak autumn color on the way there, which made my drive delightful.  After a hard frost there, I tried to capture the beauty but only managed a few pictures before my camera/phone went on the fritz. Grrr.



This week is a slow transition back to reality, and time to celebrate one of my favorite holidays. Yes...it's almost Halloween, and I must post a poem and enjoy the season, so here goes...

All Hallows' Eve

Arthritic branches scritch the sky
Owls stare through moonlit eyes

Jack-o-lanterns scowl or beam
Ghosts yell "Boo!" and witches scream

Loose bones rattle at the door
Wizards chortle, mummies snore

Shocking varmints freely roam
Perhaps one even wrote this poem!

© Karen Eastlund


Only 8 more days until Halloween!  I am decorating with pumpkins and gourds this year, and who knows what will be hiding in my Halloween Trunk this weekend! Keep watching for more Halloween fun as we get closer and closer to the big evening.  

12 comments:

  1. Karen, I remember that moon well. How glorious! I was with you in spirit. I can imagine the inspired poetry that came to life there. The 'frosty' ones must have been beautifully brrr-fect!
    The varmint who wrote this poem is a natural. The sounds and images make Halloween come alive---'arthritic branches', 'moonlit eyes'. Your pumpkins are so welcoming.

    Cory

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun poem! The Highlights retreat sounds fabulous. I was able to take a couple of online courses through Heinemann with Georgia Heard--such a gracious and encouraging teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, how wonderful that you went to the Highlights' retreat. Did you meet Linda Baie? She went too. I like your poem so much that I captured it with the pumpkin photo and will place it on Twitter's hashtag container, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol: Yes, I have known Linda for a few years since we both attended a poetry workshop at Highlights with David L Harrison. So we had time to get to know each other a little again. Lovely!

      Delete
  4. Next time you are going to a retreat, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you to be with Rebecca and Georgia at Highlights-- I went a few years ago, and it was indeed inspiring. (And now I'm wondering who the real author of your poem is! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Yeah... any one of those varmints could have written it! Haha.

      Delete
  6. Oh, Highlights--sigh-- Lucky you! Your poem is a spooky treat! I love the creative word choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly... I hope you will be able to go one day. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  7. I am green with envy about your retreat. The first line of your poem hooked me completely. Arthritic branches scritch the sky - Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Cheriee.... and thanks for visiting and commenting.

    ReplyDelete