Thursday, December 21, 2023

Merry Christmas 2023

 In the middle of wrapping presents and listening to good music, I realized it was time to wish you all a deeply peaceful and joyful Christmas. So... welcome!


The big tree near our front door had to be taken out this year. It was sad to see it go, but a small one now stands in its place. Time will fill it in. Sometimes the best gifts come in small packages, and luckily the size of the package does not limit the amount of hope it carries. Hope soars. Hope radiates at Christmas.


And do you see the star in front of the bush?  That star used to top our big tree.  I decided it could shine its light where it is, hung on a small metal post. Our new tree isn't ready for it yet, but the star still glows. "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it."

We won't put up a tree this year, but I'm decorating the house with some of my favorite ornaments.  Love is at the heart of Christmas, tree or no tree. 

For the past several years, the telling of the 1914 truce titled All is Calm on PBS, sung by an extraordinary men's choir, has been one of my Christmas highlights.  Watch for it! I recommend it to you wholeheartedly.  

My wish for all of you is in the poem below, with my thanks to Linda Mitchell for creating the perfect star for the top of my poet-tree.  



This

time of year

presents a mystery

That out of darkness

comes a ray of light...A

time to dream, to gather family

To tell the holy tale of that first night

To hug a child and sing to heart's delight

To feast and laugh and bask in family lore

May all these yuletide blessings find your door.


@Karen Eastlund

2021



It is Poetry Friday, and you can find all the Poetry Friday gang at Jone's... click HERE.  

Thanks so much for hosting, Jone!  


Constructive comments welcome! 

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I do love that star on your tree. What a sweet collection of Christmas joy. Beautiful photos, Karen. The star still glows. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Patricia. I love that your star keeps watch over the front porch, sharing its wise hope and light till your new tree can manage this important work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, your poet-tree is gorgeous! I lovely reminder of what is truly important this season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I love the way Linda's star tops your creation. Happy Christmas, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen, I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these lovely wishes, Karen. May you find light and comfort this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and loving post, Karen. I love all the special things you shared, and the stories with them, like your new tree with star! Thanks for the music, too. I've read the story of the Christmas truce but didn't know of this program. Merry Christmas to you and your family, wishing you lots of stars this holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely Christmas letter and poem. Thank you!
    Sending you love and hugs. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post today is what I need. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely "poet-tree", Karen! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Hope soars. Hope radiates at Christmas."] thanks for this message that brightens my morning, Karen. As you can see, I am very late to make the rounds this Christmas but I thank you for your poetrytree of good wishes. Yuletide blessings are a beautiful gift to send out to poetry friends. Happy Holiday Wishes for the whole week!

    ReplyDelete