Friday, December 1, 2023

Poem written for David Wiesner's Tuesday

 Hello and welcome to Poetry Friday, where children's poets, teachers, and librarians gather to have some poetic fun. Today's gathering is hosted by Anastasia Suen, who shares a lovely poem about first snow. Find her and the rest of the group HERE.  


Recently I decided to use Tuesday by David Wiesner as my prompt.  I was culling through my collection of children's books when reminded of a certain young student, doubled up with laughter, over this book. It is a gem.  

I admit to some pride in this artist because David Wiesner graduated from Bridgewater Raritan High School... our own local high school. Wiesner bloomed on my radar when I was working as a children's librarian in Raritan, when I learned that he won three Caldecott Awards:  Tuesday in 1992, The Three Pigs in 2002, and Flotsam in 2007. Amazing!



Tuesday tells a story in pictures, a tale of considerable mystery and mirth. It is a great conversation starter for you and your children or students, and indeed it was a good prompt for me.


Eerily, eerily
Out of the marshlands
Frogs rise on lily pads
Lift to the sky
Warily, warily,
People look up to see
Frogs flying everywhere
No one knows why

Finally, Finally
On goes the mystery
Snackers and canines and
Cops on the beat
Rescuers mutter and
Lily pads litter and
Something suggests 
There may be a repeat

        © Karen Eastlund


Find Tuesday on Amazon to see several video reviews to further whet your appetite.  Even though published in 1992, it is still available. Highly recommended, this book deserves a place on your bookshelf.

Happy December, everyone!



9 comments:

  1. I love the "Eerily, eerily" / "Warily, warily" echo, Karen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that book, Karen! I have not thought about it in a few years. Thank you for the reminder to dig it out. I enjoyed your verse inspired by Tuesday as well, very fun to read aloud “rescuers mutter and lily pads litter…” : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your title drew me in immediately, since I love David Wiesner's books. Your poem is so much fun to read aloud!!! The repetition, rhythm and your word choice crafted the perfect mood--eerie and mysterious for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book and this author! Your use of rhyme and repetition is wonderful. That word, 'something,' at the end is great...you just can't read that word without a bit of a pause. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly what Linda M. just said! Makes me want to go get my copy and read the book and your poem in tandem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have received a few Wiesner books through the years at the bookstore, & then I share them with customers there who may not know of their marvelous laugh-out-loud charm! I love that you used Tuesday as your inspiration, Karen, and the wonderful rhyming, inside and ending, "Rescuers mutter and
    Lily pads litter". Super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much fun, Karen! I really like the repeated words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun poem! I did a paper on Wiesner's work in grad school. Really love his work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the mood you evoke in your poem, Karen! The rhythm of those repeated words is magical.

    ReplyDelete