Thursday, December 7, 2023

Leaning into the Dark

 Welcome to another Spiritual Journey Thursday, a group that gathers monthly to share insights into our spiritual lives.  Thanks to Jone Rush MacCulloch for hosting this month, and for offering these prompts:

How do you honor/embrace this time of darkness?
Where do you find the points of light in your life?
Find Jone's thoughts and links HERE.




In many ways, darkness is my friend. I have been avoiding direct sunlight for a number of years, and I've come to value the night for its quiet shroud of mystery and beauty. I'm relieved at the summer solstice, when days begin to grow shorter. The hardest time of the year for me is late spring and summer. It's become a joke that I'm always in these clunky dark glasses, so in a moment of solidarity my grands and I made this photo. It always makes me smile.



Recently we rented a house on a quiet lake in the Adirondacks. The first night it rained, but the next two nights were beautiful: the clear deep blue allowed me to see the Milky Way. Have you seen it?  What overwhelming beauty and depth! Its great clusters of stars are both inspiring and humbling. Who am I in comparison? I think we lose this perspective under city lights.  I was so drawn to the dark world that I slept on a couch on the screen porch, looking at the stars and listening to loons and owls. Temperatures dipped into the 40s, but still it felt glorious. Restorative.

It's ironic that the dark allows us to see more stars, and it also points to another truth. We need a time of shadow or darkness in order to appreciate and filter the barrage of the day's events. We need to mull, to let our minds go dark and see what surfaces. Times of dark can facilitate that.






In Genesis there are two days of creation dedicated to appointing and separating the dark and the light. Two days! And God saw that it was good. Night is provided for rest, prayer, mulling and creating




Before the onset of industry and electricity, the darker seasons offered extended time to rest and reflect. Like a seed in the earth, these times were good for germination. At night people gathered
 around a fire as they mended nets, laughed, hugged and told stories. 

Nighttime is still story time, still the weaver of dreams. Many of our favorites feature the night, all the way from Good Night Moon and Owl Babies to Little House in the Big Woods and Something Wicked This Way Comes, stories help us address the challenge and fear of darkness and find a way to endure it.  

Professor A. Roger Ekirch wrote At Day's Close: Night in Times Past, which I've started but not finished. One interesting claim is that the "oldest occupation" is not prostitution, as we've often been told, but instead is night watchman. We have to admit that night demands precautions and can be a trial for many of us. I'm not immune.

Whether you light a candle in the dark or go out to look at the moon, I hope you will find some way to be comfortable in the darkness. Maybe we should practice night vision, searching for night's beauty. If we allow our eyes to adjust and our spirits to be willing, who knows what we will find?

Finally, no matter our attitude, some nights can seem too long. Remember that Christ declared, "I am Light of the World." Remember the Gospel of John reassures us with this powerful statement:
John 1:5  The light shined in the darkness and the darkness did not overcome it. 

May it be so.




6 comments:

  1. Extended time for rest and reflection sure sound good to me. Part of what's been difficult for me (and I think LOTS more) is going back to the full speed of life. We humans do or try to do too much and yet, I can't think of what I'd cut back on. That time in the adirondaks sounds wonderful. I love the mountains. I feel peaceful just imagining what you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics of you and your grands in the dark glasses! And your description of the dark night in the Adirondacks. I also love your emphasis on night as a time for rest, prayer, mulling, and creating. Night time and story time - another reason to love the night. I need to learn to be comfortable in the dark.Great post, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I agree! There is a real-ness to embracing darkness - whether literal or metaphorical. I think of Jesus' words: The poor you will always have with you. I think the same about darkness. There is no end to musing about evil in the world. But I think we are called to "see" the dark and to find the light in the dark. Perhaps that is God's work? Thank you for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I agree that city lights can obscure the beauty of the night sky. Living where do this is not a problem, thankfully. Night, for me, is the rejuvenating time of the day. It replenishes the depleted energy of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my name didn’t appear above. This is Bob.

      Delete
  5. I love this line: value the night for its quiet shroud of mystery and beauty. I have this need to be able to see the night sky as much as the ocean. We are in a time of rest and the dark helps to facilitates that.

    ReplyDelete