Saturday, January 6, 2024

A Waking Song

It's early January and our Spiritual Journey group has the habit of choosing One Little Word (OLW) as a guide for the year. Choosing the word can be an arduous journey in itself. I notice that several of us have considered a particular word, decided to look further, but ended up coming back to the first word. I'm in that camp this year.


I've been waking from sleep with songs in my head. A dream may be vividly playing in color, random and surprising, but usually behind it is a song. It may be a song I've most recently sung in choir, but sometimes it's a song from childhood, a song I haven't heard in years. It doesn't matter where they come from or how much of the tune I remember, it's playing back there in my subconscious. How wonderful that we have this gift of song, given to so few creatures on earth. 

My OLW for 2024 will be SONG.  Songs express a multitude of emotions, rhythms, attitudes, voices, and volumes. I will follow them through the year. 

Once upon a time, when women were birds,
there was the simple understanding that
to sing at dawn and to sing at dusk
was to heal the world through joy.
The birds still remember
what we have forgotten,
that the world is meant to be
celebrated.

- Terry Tempest Williams


The above image and verse speak to me strongly. Certainly our world can use healing through joy. Certainly we need reminding. The poem also embraces a myth mentioned in To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey, in which native Alaskan women can change into birds. I highly recommend this book if you have not read it. 

My best wishes to all of you for 2024. May you find a song in your heart and a dance in your step. 


My thanks to Margaret Simon for supplying us with the beautiful new logo found at the top of this post, and for organizing this group and hosting us this month. 


8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful word. Ron and I went to the Rose Bowl Parade this year. The theme for 2024 was A World of Music. We discussed how music brings out many emotions at certain times in our life. A song that I love is It’s A Wonderful World. Happy New Year our Friends. May God share many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I finally made it to your joyful post. Having a gift of song is wonderful. That is something I am missing but I sing anyways. My little grandgirls love my songs that I make up for them just like their mother and uncle did when they were little. The video is helping me melt down from another hectic day. The world is meant to celebrate (love this). I am glad that I read your post tonight since the pastor celebrated the Feast of the Epiphany. I listened carefully to the choir to their wonderful songs meant to celebrate this day of honoring the Baby born in Bethlehem. Happy New Year. May song carry you through many joyful moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, songs encompass all emotions. There is a song for every occasion. Songs can lift us up when we are feeling down. Songs can help us find peace when we are troubled. Hope your year is filled with many joyous songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, great word! I love these words from the poem you shared:
    " . . .to sing at dawn and to sing at dusk
    was to heal the world through joy . . . "
    Heaven knows our world needs healing. Time to sing more!
    I put the book you mentioned on my library list and knew the author's name seemed familiar. It's because I read Snow Child.
    Blessings for a year filled with music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Song! What a unique choice that I wish I had thought of. I always have music in my head. Doesn't everyone? And the poem is perfection. The birds wake us with song and leave us with song. I have a baby board book coming out in 2025 about the birds on the bayou and the songs they sing. So maybe I'll steal this word next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, song is a fun choice. I will look forward to all you have going with this during 2024. I love that Williams' verse--what a lovely thought and motivation for you to pick this word. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah...song! A beautiful choice, Karen -- one that invites both listening AND (my OLW) giving voice to what is on our hearts. It makes me ask myself, What song shall I sing today? What song do I hear? Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally reading your OLW post...better late than never! I hope it's been a beautiful song so far! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete