Thursday, January 18, 2024

Do You Celebrate Snow?

Do you yearn for snow? I feel a sense of surprise and wonder with snowfall. I find it magical and transformative. Will flakes come down like feathers or hard little diamonds? Will they dance and twirl, or slant down with vengeance? Will I be able to smell snow in the air? 

A snow storm brings drama; it's a play with many actors. Will it be comedy? Romance? Tragedy? I may watch indoors or go out to feel the flakes on my face and catch some on a dark coat sleeve. Is it a heavy snow for making snowballs, or are the flakes feathery and light, dancing and twirling down?  Snow can be silent, shrouding the earth, or it can have a voice. It can whisper, or hiss. It can sting. 

I'm like a school child when a winter storm comes along. I want a good show. I delight at the beauty and despair at the slop, but any way you look at it, I want snow. For me, winter without snow is a letdown. 

This December we had warm weather and rain. Twice we had floods. Who needs this?  I want snow!

I no longer know this photo's origin, but what attitude! 

This week we finally had snow.  Below is my reaction by way of an elfchen, or elevensie, which I learned about from Margaret Simon. It's a short little thing, but I had fun with it. Eleven words in all, one word to begin and one to end. Then two, three, and four words per line. I didn't follow the rules exactly. Mine is more like a story than a description of the first word, but poetry is forgiving that way.



Waiting for Snow: An Elfchen

Today
Flakes flew
But too few
Tonight's snow whispers softly --
Pillows!

© Karen Eastlund





Alas, these photos are from earlier years. Our recent snow barely covered the grass, and then freezing rain. So I'm still dreaming of snow pillows, but don't despair, more snow is on the way!

Go ahead, give me some feedback!  I'd love to read your (polite and constructive) comments.


Poetry Friday is an online poetry party, and you are invited. Many thanks to Robyn Hood Black for hosting Poetry Friday today and for sharing everything lovely about tea, including some tea haiku.  Click HERE to find her post and links to other Poetry Friday poets. 

17 comments:

  1. I really like "flakes flew/but too few" -- I know that feeling! You get all excited, but then... (We are expecting snow tonight/tomorrow and left sleds outside for our neighbor kids to borrow. Fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A spectacular elfchen--that last word, "pillows" has a great double meaning. I first imagined pillows of snow but then thought about my bed pillow and dreaming of snow. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun format! I've never tried an elfchen before, but I love the name.

    Your post and poem has made me appreciate anew the snow that fell here yesterday. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first few snows of the year feel magical, don't they? At least before shoveling becomes a chore. We spent one winter in a warm place, and I did (kind of) miss it. Your short, sweet poem makes its point clearly in those eleven carefully chosen words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, too, Karen, & we haven't had much this year either. I count on it to bring in some moisture. No rain for us. Even the skiers have been disappointed until last week, a fury of it then! I, too, love your word, 'pillows', the rounding of the heaven's artistry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I enjoyed your whole post. The prose piece gave me insight into your thinking about snow. "A snow storm brings drama; it's a play with many actors." The only glitch for me is the thick iced snow on my car window. With arthritic fingers it is difficult to get the snow off before the hurt commences. I think your elfchen presented itself wonderfully. I, too, like the word choice of pillows. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing elfchen pop up all over the poetry-verse! And I'm 100% with you in the love of snow. The more the better. Bring on all the snow-stories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post from start to finish! I, too, am a lover of snowfalls and especially of waking to the big fat pillows of a surprise fall. What a gift! Your elfchen is perfect and that snowman made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, how sassy that snowman is! : ) I love fresh snow. When there is significant snow in the forecast, my friend and I start texting about what we are going to bake! Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures of your last year's bounty, and I hope you have some fluff on the way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, what fun. Your elfchen is precious, and that last word was a fun surprise. I do hope you get some snow pillows this year! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry you had too few flakes. We had about 4 inches on Monday and 4 inches on Friday. We finally broke our 2 year snow drought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too feel the excitement of the first flakes--and wish you soft pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read recently of how many of us - especially if you live on the east coast - mourn the loss of snow as part of our winter weather experience. I hear this throughout your post, Karen, both the love and joy of flakes and the longing. I'm glad you're getting some now. I leave next week for a month in our mountains and am looking forward to some snowstorms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you get those snow pillows, Karen! Thanks for introducing me to the elfchen. That's a new form for me. I love how your 11 words express so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos and poem - here's to you filling your cup with snow as the season rolls along - and to a warm and cozy waiting chair after you've had your fill!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Snow pillows! I love your elfchen. I wish I could see snow and like it better. They most we get is a flurry or two. This week's winter weather event sent ice.

    ReplyDelete