Thursday, August 4, 2022

Summer Spiritual Journey: Time to Be Still

I'm a lake lover. I love to canoe and watch the wildlife along the shore. Before we had children, my hubby and I would go into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in northern Minnesota, camping, portaging and canoeing. I still love lake time, but the days of sleeping in a tent on a 1/2 inch pad, and portaging with a Duluth pack on my back, are over.  Now, when I get the chance, a cabin on a lake is the way to go.  

Sometimes we can finagle the whole family to join us for lake time... then we do some hiking, canoeing, exploring. Here are some bits of natural beauty that we found one day. It was fun to gather and arrange, and then put it all back into the woods. Later we had campfire, walked out on the dock and looked at the Milky Way. It is a memory I cherish.

Collection from a hike in the Adirondacks, 2018

The time spent quietly in nature fills my heart and soul. There is no pressure to be on a schedule, to look a certain way, or to perform a task. No traffic snarls. There is just calm and beauty. For me, lake time is time to "Be still and know that I am God."   - Psalm 46:10

The water was cool in September...

For me, a good lake vacation includes loons. I love their magnificent ruby eyes, their elegant tuxedoed bodies, their dignified profile. But most of all I love their eerie calls. I have heard them in the northern lakes in the fall, calling back and forth, wildly raucous deep into the night. I'm convinced they know how to party. And it is sometimes said, in the north woods, that the loon's call signifies that all is well in the woods. 

When I'm on a lake, listening to loons, I do feel that all is well. 

Check out this wonderful website about loons:  www.loon.org
And don't miss the various calls of the loons   https://loon.org/the-call-of-the-loon/




Who can put this feeling to words better than Mary Oliver?  Here is the beginning and end of her Morning Poem... you can find the rest here.


Morning Poem  by Mary Oliver

Every morning
the world
is created.
Under the orange

sticks of the sun
the heaped
ashes of the night
turn into leaves again

and fasten themselves to the high branches ---
and the ponds appear
like black cloth
on which are painted islands

of summer lilies.


...

each pond with its blazing lilies
is a prayer heard and answered
lavishly,
every morning,

whether or not
you have ever dared to be happy,
whether or not
you have ever dared to pray.

***

I wish you the peace of summer, the joy of burbling water, and the sweetness of laughter.

Thanks to Carol Varsalona for hosting today's Spiritual Journey group and for creating and sharing the beautiful image above.  Join her at her blog for some beautiful summer gratitude, and follow the links to other bloggers in the group.










7 comments:

  1. Karen, I understand your thought, "The time spent quietly in nature fills my heart and soul." That is exactly what I felt when I walked the trail to the meditation area at the inn my husband and I stayed at for our anniversary. Thanks for sharing so many ways and photos on how nature nurtures your summer soul. I added your nature photo and the quote I loved to my Poetryliscious padlet for all to see. I hope this is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, the peace of this post is contagious! I love that "lake time" feeling. My hubby loves lakes and is dreaming of retiring to an area with lakes someday. We'll see. I'm game as long as we don't have to head north and deal with real winter. I'm so glad you are still enjoying lake time and it's a firm part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psalm 46:10 is one of my life's verses. Karen. The Oliver poem pairs so beautifully with it - natures newness and splendor like a prayer each morning. l love how the eerie loon call speaks to you. For me, the discordant droning of cicadas rising and falling speaks of peace, eternity, continuity, belonging...one of the most comforting sounds on Earth to me. Thank you for this lovely poetic offering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, time away from the hustle and bustle of life is so important. Time to listen to the calming sounds of nature. Time to listen to our body and soul. They are so good at telling us what they need if we only listen. Being out in nature gives us a sense of being alone yet not being idolated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am missing my watery rejuvenation this summer, and so I thank you for providing a vicarious lakeside moment to visualize the lapping of gentle waves and the call of the loons. It's also a reminder that I need to read more of Mary Oliver's work...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, it is lovely to read your reminisces of lake time. So gentle and peaceful. Yes, I am being nurtured by all of the summer nurturing posts I'm reading today. Thanks for sharing, it's even lovelier with the photos. I had never read that Mary Oliver poem--what a beauty. "Every morning the world is created." I'm going to be thinking of that as I watch the days come alive. And as Chris, said, reading that poem was a good reminder to read more Mary Oliver. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed some afternoon time on the deck today, but after reading your post, I plan to enjoy some morning time outside tomorrow. It's been such a hectic summer, but finally we're in a beautiful place for a getaway with family. I've been napping in the afternoons with the grands. Love these lines from the Oliver poem:
    "each pond with its blazing lilies
    is a prayer heard and answered
    lavishly,
    every morning,"

    ReplyDelete