Friday, August 19, 2022

Ode to Cake

 In clearing out extraneous documents from my computer, I came upon this ode written by my grandson when he was 12. It warmed my heart, not to mention the heart of my husband who bakes it. Since I'm very proud of both of them, I knew I wanted to share. This cake is a speciality in our house, made from an old Danish recipe entitled Sand Cake:


Sand Cake (Sandkage)  from Danish Home Baking by Karen Berg

1 cup butter  (2 sticks)
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 2/3 cup wheaten flour
6 eggs, separated, whites beaten until stiff  ( 6 large)
Vanilla

Cream butter & sugar
Stir in egg yolks one at a time
Sift the flour and mix thoroughly
Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites
Line a cake pan with thin paper and fill with batter
Bake in a cool oven (300F) for about 1 hour 20 minutes

Baker's Notes: Not very sweet, but good with coffee. I used a tube pan, it fills about 1/3 and does not raise much at all, not that I expected it to.

This cake can be made gluten free by substituting casava flour mixed 1 to 1 with gluten free oat flour. The photo below is of the gluten free. The wheat version has a finer crumb.


Here's Paul's Poem:

Ode to Marvelous Cake

We love spending time with our grandparents
But surely, you'll have to take
That of our visit cake was the best part
Thus this ode to marvelous cake

Oh, the light, sweet, fluffy interior
The part which is hard to bake
I think you would find superior
To anything but more cake

Sure, the grandparents took us bowling
And will bring us to play in the lake
But really, how does that compare?
To the marvelous, fabulous cake?

 -- P D Eastlund, 2021


With thanks to both my grandson, Paul, and my husband, Chris!  Love you both!!!



The Friday gathering is at Leap of Dave where he's tried an etheree and blogs about finding castles and biking. Thanks for hosting, Dave, and good luck with your year ahead.




6 comments:

  1. Oh I love this so much! Such talent at age 12.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a wonderfully done poem by Paul, Karen, full of great rhythm and, of course, great joy! Copying the recipe, hope that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Karen. I'll have to try this recipe too, using the gluten free version. Looks yummy. And the poem is great! I love it when young people write to signify the importance of something in their lives. Carol@ The Apples in My Orchard (not participating in PF this month, just stopped by to read a few posts).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love how much your family and family traditions inform your writing. It's so rich!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo to both the odist and the baker! Love both of these. My last name, Thomsen, is Danish, so I can do some heritage baking by making the cake. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, how exciting to find your grandson's ode. I am musing about coffee and cake at this time but our trip to Cape May has me on a cleanse diet today. Thanks for the yummy treat and poem.

    ReplyDelete