Friday, August 5, 2022

Loony

Yesterday I posted about my love of lakes and loons. When we were just starting out as a family, we lived in Minnesota, where loons are the state bird. The more I saw and heard them, the more I became enamored with them. Loony, you might say.

Laura Purdy Salas has written a beautiful book, Secrets of the Loon, which I pulled out yesterday when thinking about loons. No surprise that Laura's poetry is lovely. I especially admire these lines about the unborn chick:

"squeezed inside an olive egg,
bill meets wing meets folded leg"

To learn more about loons, look for Laura's book.  Also, don't miss this great website about loons:  www.loon.org.  

Today I'm sharing some loon poems that I started a few years ago and recently revisited. 


thanks to istockphoto for this image...


Ancient Voices

I listen for loons
For their ancient voices
Eerie and echoing 
Drenching the world with sound

Have you heard them
Wailing in raucous harmony
Shrieking in the moonlight
Yoo-hooing from lake to lake?

Have you heard
Low tender voices
Babbling with spouses
Feeding their young in the morning mist?

Like an earnest chick, I stop to listen
Spellbound, astounded 
I treasure these primal wails --
Surely they bless the north woods

© Karen Eastlund

Image by longacre at Pixabay


You can hear the many calls of loons here:  https://loon.org/the-call-of-the-loon/

Here's a little loon haiku to end the post:

Tuxedoed loons dive
Deep into crystal waters
Sushi bar below


Hooray! It is Poetry Friday...


Many thanks to Molly Hogan for hosting at Nix the Comfort Zone.  She's sharing her own fabulous baseball-related poems. You'll find links to the whole gang at her site.

Enjoy these last weeks of summer!  





9 comments:

  1. I was treated to loon calls on my first ever visit to northern Minnesota some 40 years ago and fell in love with the sound "ancient...eerie...echoing". -- yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first heard loons on a Gordon Lightfoot songs years ago. Their sound is unmistakable. Their markings magnificent. It is little wonder writers and poets are drawn to them. Karen, your poem ends strongly. I was drawn to the lines -'I stop to listen, Spellbound, astounded
    I treasure these primal wails --Surely they bless the north woods.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh. Swoon. I love the word "drenched" here. THanks for the lovely shout out for SECRETS OF THE LOON. I'm so excited to have another loon picture book coming out in spring 2023--FINDING FAMILY. I just finished a 14-stop storytime tour all about loons with Yvonne Pearson, who has a beautiful picture book called LITTLE LOON FINDS HIS VOICE. Yvonne led the kids in various loon calls at each storytime. Such a treat! Their calls really are a haunting wonder. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tour sounds like it intrigued the children at the storytimes.

      Delete
  4. Sadly, I've only experiences the sound of loons in movies or television. How lovely and haunting they are and you describe them so well. I think I may have to take a trip to Minnesota sometime to hear them in person "wailing...shrieking...yoo-hooing...babbling"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, the ending line in your haiku is a wonderful visual. I have never seen a loon but enjoyed your links. The grands just left after a very active weekend. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to be able to hear the loons call from our old house and I miss that in our new home. I had a chance to go Stand-up Paddleboarding last week and was delighted when some loons popped up in the lake near me. What a treat! They were silent, but your poem really captures the wonder of their spell-casting calls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little loon haiku made me smile. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eerie and echoing indeed. A lovely, lilting tribute to loons.

    ReplyDelete