Friday, December 10, 2021

With thanks for publication

 I'm delighted to have two poems in Bridget Magee's Ten by Ten Poetry Anthology: Celebrating Ten in Ten Different Ways. I received my copy and found that I have the honor of the very last poem in the book. I rather love that spot! So... here... without further ado... I will share with you...

 Great job on the cover!

What Tends to Happen

Spring again
Hoe in hand

I work the soil
Earthworms roil

Pull the weeds
Plant some seeds

Water deep
Plan to reap

But then...

Days get warm
Insects swarm

New weeds grow
I stub my toe

Mud stains
Interest wanes

Woodchucks excavate
Grubs decimate

Caterpillars chew
I'm through

Plants wilt
I gather guilt

End of tale...
Epic fail!

So...

Next spring's plan...
Try again?

Or... alas...
more grass?

- Karen Eastlund



Thank you for including me in your anthology, Bridget! So much fun. And if any of you readers haven't found this book yet, it's available on Amazon and many of our posting friends are in it. Give it a try!


It is Poetry Friday, and you can find the gang at Cathy L Mere's Merely Day by Day. Cathy is a wise writer who has learned to be patient with her poems, and it shows in the one she posted today. Go ahead and take a look...

Thanks for stopping by today, and have a good week.





12 comments:

  1. This was such a fun poem - one I'm sure anyone who has started spring full of good intentions to relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being included in the new anthology. Thanks for sharing your delightful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read it all the way to "your" end, Karen, a delight (but a fright!). It's much fun reading this anthology & recognizing so many names. Bridget did a good thing when she collected and then published! Happy gardening next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. Need this book. Love these lines: Woodchucks excavate
    Grubs decimate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the would-be wish for an optimistic springtime garden. I am ready to try again. I bought so many plants for my new home and guess what? The rabbit and deer took a bit out of my beautiful plants and the clay soil took care of the rest. Congratulations on having 2 poems in Bridget's book. I will have to read through the book soon and find your other poem, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was MY honor to include your words, Karen! Your poem was the perfect cliffhanger...what will next spring bring?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your poem so much! Hooray for the hope of a garden! (Look at all those fabulous black swallowtail caterpillars!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this and I can totally relate. But look at how much you learned! Next spring - success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to share the space Bridget created for we assorted poets, Karen. Your poem speaks of resilience-we try, we fail, we try yet again. You have held up your end with these words

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, Karen, this is my gardening life. Ha! I love the couplets and the gentle rhyming. I really need to play with couplets more often. Thanks for sharing the book too. Congratulations on the publication of your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A delight in the hope of a garden. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many times I fail in the garden, but there is always next year. Love the way you structured this poem. Congrats on publication! Keep tilling that poetic soil.

    ReplyDelete