Friday, October 13, 2023

Jack-o-Lanterns

I love to carve a pumpkin, no matter how the face turns out. The gooey pumpkin innards and the smell of singed pumpkin take me back to early days. I always have candle stubs to light inside and watch the flickering light. It's much spookier that way, but of course I have to be careful.  I suspect it's more fun for me than for the children who come to my door, but that's fine. It amuses me each year.






FACES!

Jack-o-lanterns' homemade faces

Teasing, grinning

Gleaming

Bright --

See them peek from

Sills and

Gates --

Will they spook us

On that

Night?


©  Karen Eastlund


Thanks to J. Patrick Lewis for this poetic form, called a zeno.  The syllable count is 8,4,2,1,4,2,1,4,2,1.


If you start practicing now, you can learn THIS SONG by Halloween.

 It's Poetry Friday!  Find the whole gang and their poetry offerings at Reading to the Core. Thanks to Catherine Flynn for hosting today and writing about the human urge to leave our mark.



12 comments:

  1. I loved your zeno, and that SONG -- fun, yet spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've really gotten me into the Halloween mood. Love seeing those jack-o-lantern faces and reading your zeno! Who's the cute little witch in the pic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jama: My oldest granddaughter, Ruthie. She's 16 now! Still cute!

      Delete
  3. Fun post and poem, your pumpkins and all make me smile! And Iove your spooky Goblin screech at the end of your video too, thanks! 🎃

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, what fun! I like that you keep up the jack-o-lantern tradition, even though it is probably more fun for you than the neighborhood children! I love that you do it because you are amused. The photos are great, and your zeno poem is a perfect telling of the story of the pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pumpkin carvings that lend themselves well to your zeno. Thanks for the memories of carving them with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Halloween is the PERFECT time for children's poetry. I love how fun your poem is. Bring on the pumpkin goo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love carving pumpkins, too! Thank you for sharing your fun zeno!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to carve a pumpkin. Halloween was not celebrated in Australia until recent years, so not part of my childhood. Perhaps it's not too late to try? You've certainly got me in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What??? A childhood without Halloween??? This is a horror worthy of scary tale told round a flickering campfire! :-)

      Delete
  9. Karen, your zeno and your song make for fun on Halloween. Have fun with your grands this Halloween. Keep stirring the pot!

    ReplyDelete