Friday, October 27, 2023

Almost Bewitched

 It's almost Halloween, and the cool nights and the bright leaves and the pumpkins are all gathering.  I saw photos of witches on paddleboards, which was amusing but beyond my current abilities. Haha. I ordered a new witchy hat in red, but it's big for me. I look like I'm hiding under a red mushroom. Maybe I'll find another recipient.  



Anyway, I have a new poem. I was inspired to write this by a recent experience. 


Acrobats

In soft evening light
Lake lapping
Reflecting
I find a performance
Just at the shore

Acrobats in black
Doing stunts for their supper
I see them flutter
Pirouette
Swoop

Watching the troupe
I see flying near-misses
But look: This one kisses
Her lake-mirrored image!

It's a natural act
A banquet on the wing
I see flutters and swoops
Daring dives and braided loops
It's a traveling circus!

In soft evening light
Acrobats flutter and feast
Lake mirrors their moves
And I am a sister
Reflecting.

© Karen Eastlund 2023




Have a fun Halloween, everyone!  And don't forget to join the gang for Poetry Friday. This week is hosted by Carol Labuzzetta... she's sharing more bat goodness!  Find it HERE.






11 comments:

  1. Karen, I can envision your leathery friends swooping and swirling around the lake, scooping up insects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you found your way into this twilight dance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Karen -- what great images in your poem, and so evocative. Had to smile at the red mushroom hat. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew that insect "control" could be so beautiful?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And I am a sister
    Reflecting."
    What a great ending!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a lovely poem full of so many treasures: "A banquet on the wing" "It's a traveling circus!" "And I am a sister / Reflecting"

    I'd love to see you in your red mushroom hat, and I love that star shaped decorative pumpkin on your table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, I love your lake - autumn poem! We live on a lake - I think we've discussed this before - but it a magical place in autumn and at other times during the year! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you've shown us what you saw so wonderfully, Karen. "But look: "This one kisses
    Her lake-mirrored image!"
    is a wonderful picture I can "see"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this, Karen, esp:
    I see flying near-misses
    But look: This one kisses
    Her lake-mirrored image!
    There's a really delightful energy to this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, you are definitely ready for Halloween. You should wear your red hat event though it's large. Your poem is wel done with amazing word choice. The lake you reflected upon is full of wonderful images that you captured poetically.

    ReplyDelete