Friday, October 15, 2021

This little apple

 Happy Poetry Friday... our gathering today is hosted by Bridget, who is announcing the birth of her anthology: 10•10 Poetry Anthology: Celebrating 10 in 10 Different Ways.  I am pleased and delighted to be one of the 58 poets whose work is in this book. Can't wait to get my copy!  It is available in paperback and Kindle versions via Amazon.


Hey... have you noticed it's apple season?  My usual breakfast is an apple cut into slices and slathered with peanut butter. If you have never tried it, I encourage you to do so!  Juicy, sweet, crunchy, peanutty and delicious!  




So, one day I took out a nice red apple, cut it open, and this is what looked at me.  I didn't arrange it or pose it. This happened naturally. It's true!!!


How can I ever face an apple again?  I could almost hear it speaking:

Sighs of a Sad Apple

Of all the apples
in the world
you had to
pick on me?

I'm worried sick...
I haven't slept...
as anyone
can see...

Ever since my
stem let go
I've been shaken 
to my core

Whatever will
become of me?
Applesauce?
Quel bore!

And so I've sat
bewildered
at the sound
of my own thud

Hoping that 
I hadn't bruised
or grown icky 
from the mud

But now you've
cut me open
I hope your
satisfied

Just because of you
I'm done!
Sliced open!
Mortified!!!

Well!!! If you would
make a fritter
I'd deign to
play along

Or better yet
an apple pie?
(I guess that can't
go wrong)

Add cinnamon
and sugar
a flaky crust
is nice

Make sure your roll
it evenly
And crimp around
each slice

And then I'd like
some whipped cream
A dollop up
on top

If you could promise
those things
I suppose my tears
might stop

And please use
your best china
and a table cloth
for tea

And when you take
a bite... just stop...
and heave a sigh
for me.


© Karen Eastlund
2021





Thanks again to Bridget for hosting.  Find her celebration of TEN at Wee Words for Wee Ones. 





12 comments:

  1. What a fun poem! (It's been years since I had apple slices with peanut butter - I'd forgotten about that until you reminded me here today). Your poem is full of so many words evoking tastes and smells - it's made me want apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoorah for this poem inspired by that forlorn looking apple, Karen! The apple pie is almost like an apple-ology to the poor fella. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun poem (even though I feel sorry for the apple). Such an expressive face! I also like apples with peanut butter - though recently I tested positive for peanut allergy so have had to switch to almond butter. I guess my face resembles your apple now . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a great poem with perfect rhyme and rhythm! You really captured something here starting with the picture. The pie looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to read Jama's post today, Karen. You two are a PAIR! I eat apples with peanut butter, but that's my lunch instead. I adore that you found that cranky face & then made your funny reply. I guess you know if cut the other way, it's a star!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I love, love, love your poem! What a sad face on that apple. No wonder it inspired your writing, and you did it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really is such fun and a wonderful point of view poem that kids and adults can enjoy and learn from, too. That face is really something!! Like what others have said, your rhyme and rhythm and pie photo are terrific. I bet kids will love this poem.
    Janet Clare F.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen your poem is inspired by a phenomenon known as pareidolia -the seeing of faces in everyday objects. You have captured a wonderful example in this image and applied it with panache in your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, what a face inside your apple. I'm so glad you capture it--so sweet and sad. The poem you wrote is perfect and funny.
    "Ever since my
    stem let go
    I've been shaken
    to my core"
    One of my favorites. The apple pie looks delicious too, and it looks like even it has a little smirk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a surprise! Your poem captures the apple's voice perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Talk about clever! I enjoyed the juicy fruit of this poem all the way to it's core. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apple slices with peanut butter is my go to. I love the apple face. I can hear that apple.

    ReplyDelete