Thursday, October 7, 2021

Here...and now.

 Here in the NorthEast, autumn is ambling in.  Just today I noticed this...


Our friend Ramona Behnke offered the topic for Spiritual Journey this month, a fascinating one that came from Emily P. Freeman's podcast.

In the podcast, Emily quoted Dr. Larry Crabb asking, “What is true right now? The state of your mind, heart, will and imagination? And then also the state of your body, your surroundings, your place in the world today.” 

So Ramona asks... What is true here and now?

This month I'm blessed to celebrate a 50th anniversary with my hubby. We two have had quite an adventure over the years. Our children took us on a glorious week in Wyoming to celebrate, and the afterglow of that week will never wear off. 

Chris & Karen, 2003... my favorite if not most recent photo!

My church choir has resumed. I am here, totally present, listening as well as singing while in choir. The challenge and beauty of music still feeds and heals my soul. 

Autumn is my favorite season, filled with cool days and brilliant color. For me it is a time of both sadness and rejoicing as the season itself reflects. Autumn is always bittersweet.

My birthday is this month. I've earned these wrinkles and I'm thankful for each day, delighting in the beauty, opportunities and challenges of life. I'm healthy enough to go hiking here at 9,000ft. Woohoo!

Taking in the beauty here in WY

I have the challenge of leading the history committee in my town. We work hard and I'm proud of our members and the work we do here.

The traffic here is crazy. Why do I live in NJ?

I look for truth in the world and struggle to recognize it. I believe that God loves us and is here with us, but lets us learn the hard way. I pray for courage and insight.

During this long stretch of pandemic, I turn to some old favorites. In an old Christmas M.A.S.H. episode, there is much moaning about being away from home for the holiday. Having had enough,  Colonel Potter shouts, "If you ain't where you are, you're nowhere!!!" Potter's statement may not be eloquent, but it's true. 

What's true for you? Where are you at this moment? I'd love to read your response in the comments below.


Thanks to Ramona for hosting and providing this springboard. Find Ramona, links to others in our group, and more about this topic at Pleasures from the Page.



5 comments:

  1. First, congrats on your 50th wedding anniversary! Thanks for sharing your moments of being here with us. Like you, I love fall. I celebrate your return to choir and your chance to hike in those beautiful mountains with your family.
    Here's to more moments of celebrating (w)here we are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Colonel Potter, and Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy October birthday, Karen, and happy 50th! I was about to ask what sort of elixir of youth you and your husband take re: that photo and then I saw that it was from 2003 - a relief in its way! It's a great picture, and so are the others - oh that mountaintop hike - what a metaphor for the spiritual journey and life itself. Love the M*A*S*H quote and the lens of love and appreciation through which you view the world (and, of course, autumn). Here's to ongoing adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary! 50 years is quite an accomplishment. I love Wyoming! Your children are blessed by you and share that blessing with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, wow! 50 years is an accomplishment, and your trip, including hiking, to Wyoming sounds like a treasure. I love the way you put it: "the afterglow of that week will never wear off"

    I loved reading all your stream of consciousness HERE's in this post. I guess in answer to your question, I am here in Bahrain, trying to live fully each day because we are leaving in 2.5 months. It makes me sad in some ways, but makes every day all the sweeter.

    ReplyDelete