Friday, June 11, 2021

Poetry with Grandkids

 Hi All...  It's 


And... it's a week with grandkids!  We love it... the only drawback is our waning energy.  Still, what memories we will have!  Crafts, which this week included slime and some undefinable goop, paper plate frisbee, bowls made from paper plates and yarn, and many origami projects... and then there were card games which occasioned silly, ridiculous and hilarious interchanges, an afternoon bowling, and all that food! We ate well. 

I challenged my two visiting grandkids, Paul is 12 (almost 13) and Claire is 11, to write me some poetry for my blog. Here are their wonderful submissions...


Paul's Poem 

We love spending time with our grandparents

But my opinion, you’ll have to take

That of our visit cake was the best part

Thus this ode is to marvelous cake


Oh, the light, sweet, fluffy interior

The part which is hard to bake

I think you would find superior

To anything but more cake


Sure, the grandparents took us bowling

And will bring us to play in the lake

But really, how does that compare

To the marvelous, fabulous cake?

© Paul Duncan Eastlund



A beautiful ode to such a simple cake, right?  This is that last of the Sand Cake, from an old Danish Recipe, very much like a pound cake. The only rising agent is the egg whites, which are beaten to a peak. It is made simply from butter, sugar, flour, eggs and a little vanilla. No need for sugary frosting. This particular cake is made with cassava flour due to wheat intolerance, and is rich in eggs, so it even makes a good breakfast.




Getting a recent photo of these kids is tricky. They play shy to the camera. So... we sort of cornered them for this one. I think it's rather cute. (See the red case behind Claire?  That's her lizard, Spike.)
Here's Claire's poem:


A Girl's Demise
By Claire Eastlund

I like ooey, gooey slime

But I can’t think of a rhyme

This poem is wasting my precious time

And it doesn’t even pay a dime


If I had a choice I would be asleep

Knocked out and snoring in dreams so deep

If a tank rolled by I wouldn't make a peep

My notes ‘bout this poem piled in a heap


I would dream about slime jumping from the page

Red as an apple and frothing with rage

It chastised me for putting it in a cage

And made it so I would never see old age


THE END


Slime made with white glue, shaving cream & borax


Today's round-up is at Carol's Corner. Click the link to find more poetry...

Be happy, be well, and always be hungry for a poem.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! You have some very poetic and talented grandchildren! And they are funny besides! It sounds like you are making lots of wonderful memories! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH Karen, what fun! Love the grandkids' poems. They have a sense of humor, as I'm sure you all do! What fun you must be having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make slime here, too, Karen, but alas, no sand cake! Your grands are so lucky to come for the visit! And you are so lucky, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your grandchildren's poems! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me so happy! I dream of the day I can write poems with my grands. We had a wonderful week together, but as far as writing goes, I was able to teach Thomas the letter M for Mamere. He's almost 2. The poems were so much fun. Love the ode to the cake and Claire's sarcasm is hilarious. Keep writing kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Paul and Claire! And thanks for saving the last piece of cake for ME! (YUM!)

    ReplyDelete