Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Nurturing our Summer Souls

 Thanks to Carol Varsalona for hosting today, and for providing this lovely theme and image for our gathering.



Summer frazzles me. I don't do well in the heat... or the sun. Recently, I had to leave a lovely garden party abruptly because I began to feel the effects of the sun. I know the signs, and I know I have to get into a darkened room before I begin to see spots. People laugh when I say I hate being carried out, but I'm only half joking. Many years have passed since I have been "carried out"  but I remember the feeling. No fun...

What do I need to nurture my summer soul? A day at the beach is not it. A day at Six Flags would be disaster. Even a day in the garden must be chosen very carefully. But an early morning or cool evening in the garden works. I'm happy with my garden this year, I have some new additions that please me. 


"The kiss of sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God’s heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth."

- Dorothy Frances Gurney

A welcoming splash of color


My little garden feeds my soul. It reminds me to get down on my knees and pay attention to the soil, to pull hard at stubborn weeds, to loosen and enrich as I go. It gives me the opportunity to watch leaves and blooms come into their fullness, brilliant in color and lustrous in petal. A garden is a place to internalize the circle of life, a place to plan and hope and learn, to realize that my plans may not be God's plan. 

Gardening has its aggravations, and I saw one yesterday. As I stood watering, a groundhog came from behind my neighbor's shed. We looked at each other and I said hello! It retreated.  I rather enjoyed this visit, although I wish I had snapped a photo. I won't be so happy if it decides to feast on my flowers.

I planted bee balm this year, a lovely wine color. It grew taller than I hoped, and the flowers are more capricious than I expected. Bee balm is a member of the mint family, so I'll have to work to keep it confined or it will take over the garden. Another year and I will know more, but for now I like the color it adds, and I hope it will entice some bees and hummingbirds to my yard.

bee balm's spiky blooms

Predictions are for 90+ degrees today and tomorrow. I won't spend much time in the garden today, but I will water. My plants need water.

For me, water is a spiritual as well as physical need in the summer. Not the relentless water of crashing waves, but the quiet waters of a lake or stream. I love to sit by a lake and be calmed by it's lapping waters. And one year we found a cabin next to a little stream. How relaxing to listen to it trickling along below.  

"He leads me beside the still waters..."  Psalm 23

Here is a poem I wrote about an unforgettable water moment...


Blue Homage

 

Give me back those few seconds

Just at dusk

In our battered old canoe

My hand dipping into the cool water

The paddle rough in my palm

You in the stern

Setting the rhythm

 

The very last beam of daylight

Hovered over the dark water

Sprinkling it with needles of

Brilliant neon blue

Until millions of gentle ripples

Glimmered in perfect alignment

 

A stunning blessing

A fleeting homage to the day

A splendor I cannot forget


If only you had seen it...


© Karen Eastlund


The story behind this poem is that my husband indulged me by going out once more in the canoe before we left the lake. It was late and he was tired, and we were far from our cabin when I saw this splendor. Just as we turned toward home and were getting into a good rhythm, I saw these lights. Unfortunately, he did not see them.  I didn't break rhythm since it was getting dark and we were not familiar with the lake, and by the time I thought to say something, the light was gone. I am still sad that he missed this beautiful phenomenon, and I remain grateful to him for taking me out that one last time. 

 



No wonder we love to live near water. It renews, refreshes, cools and cleanses. It is essential to life. It reminds us of our limits and welcomes us. I am thankful for gardens and water and the deep blessings they bring to my summer. 



 Remember to find Carol at Beyond Literacy Link to join in the spiritual journeys of the group.


8 comments:

  1. This is some deep stuff! I love it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, what a lovely post. I love your description of the effects of the summer sun for you. I can relate a bit because for several years, I was sensitive to the heat and humidity because of a severe bout of heat exhaustion. Gradually it got better for me.

    I love the photos of your garden and seeing the bee balm--so beautiful! I hope that groundhog stays away.

    You wrote a lovely transition from your garden to the water, the second blessing you describe. I'm so glad you shared about the poem. It helped put that picture in my head more clearly. I love that you captured that end of the day light show in verse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post and poem. Thanks for taking me to your garden and onto the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, your garden provides you with beautiful florals making it a inspiring sight for meditating from what I see. I love your thought, "It feeds my soul." Gardens are one way to nurture a love for nature and bringing peace. I totally agree although the jackrabbit and night creatures seem to think my garden is their restaurant. Thank you for sharing your deep love of water. "No wonder we love to live near water. "It renews, refreshes, cools and cleanses." I miss my ocean but have found other parts of nature that nurture my soul. Peace to you and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, I forgot to mention that I would like to save the photo of your husband for a future Nurturing Our Summer Souls gallery of artistic expressions. It shares an activity that I am sure nurtures both of your summer souls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a beautiful garden! I love the bee balm. It can grow tall. But, it's so pretty and sturdy. I'm glad that you are able to find ways to enjoy summer despite what the heat can do to you. I feel like even if I didn't see the light you describe in your poem...I did with your description. What a lovely way to capture it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how you captured this stunning blessing in your poem! Isn't it lovely when we do that? And then we can revisit the memory. I'm also not a fan of the heat or the sun. I'm always in search of shady paths and early walks in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen...about being "carried out"...I stood in the summer heat and blazing sun at a funeral a few years ago, feeling sweat running like buckets down my back; just as the eulogy ended and I began to walk away, everything went gray. I heard the hair clip fall out of my hair, could hear people asking if I was ok, but I couldn't see anything...sinking into the darkness of heat exhaustion was a lesson learned in paying closer attention (and avoiding a spectacle, alas! I get it!). Lovely photos, and your poem with the mesmerizing blue lights...I can see them through your eyes, and am grateful for that glittering, restorative coolness in that image and in the Scriptures.

    ReplyDelete