Thursday, November 5, 2020

In Everything Give Thanks

 

In everything, give thanks... 

Easier said than done, right? Keeping a grateful heart is a challenge. So how do we find gratitude in a year that feels like hardship? I don't have easy answers. I have felt great sadness this year, yet I realize that I am more fortunate than most. 

I am reading Liturgy of the Ordinary by Tish Harrison Warren, which is helping me cultivate more God-centered practices in my day. The process is called formation... forming a faithful life. I am grateful for this insightful book and for the women with whom I discuss it.

It can be easy to overlook the gifts in life... I remember my reaction when a friend opened her prayer with: Father, thank you for another day...  The day itself... I had taken the actual day for granted! I had overlooked the gift of time. What else had I overlooked?

Here is a small example of the gifts of my day...

Cool autumn air.

My family... huge, extended, diverse and hilarious. I love you all..

Bright autumn colors. Glorious!

The ability and freedom to express myself... to write, vote, sing, etc.

My body.  I can still stand in tree pose (on one foot)... then transition my body into a letter T. Okay...so sometimes I need to hold onto something for balance. I'm grateful anyway. 😄

Fresh bedsheets and a warm robe.

Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bDoMflYErE

Hot running water...

Books, of which I am abundantly blessed.

The quiet understanding of a spouse.

Humor... 

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.... The brilliant blue sky seems to dance with the bright autumn leaves. 

If I take time to be still, to focus on the here and now, I find that gratitude will come. I pray it will be so for you also.

Thanks to Ruth Hersey for hosting our Spiritual Journey Thursday group this month! Find her post and links to others here.




4 comments:

  1. "If I take time to be still, to focus on the here and now, I find that gratitude will come." I pray that this action step allows me to untie the knots in my life, Karen. Thank you for sharing one of my favorite songs that fills me with peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as if the Doxology is woven throughout all of your post, Karen. Family as glorious as the leaves -the Creator’s magnificence so evident! Love the idea of “cultivating more God-centered practices” in our days and not overlooking His vast gifts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that book on my shelf too. Your words make me want to pick it up and read it again to inspire God-centered practices for my day. Hot running water is a lovely gift. Always grateful to be born in a time and place to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to read that book! Thanks for joining us this week!

    ReplyDelete