Thursday, March 26, 2020

Bad Hair Days



I know it's ridiculous, but I have to write about hair. I wear my hair short, and I need trims often. So imagine my dismay when I drove past my hairdresser's to see a big sign on the door that says: CLOSED BY MANDATE.

Okay... it's a small ugh. I get that.  But I thought maybe a focus on something mundane and a little silly, like hair, could bring a laugh or two, and in that vein, I put together today's post.

I've always loved this poem by Edward Lear, Father of the Limerick.

There was an Old Man with a Beard

There was an Old Man with a beard,
Who said, "It is just as I feared!—
Two Owls and a Hen, four Larks and a Wren,
Have all built their nests in my beard.

I could NOT find my book with the good illustration of this, but I rather like this guy with the cat in his beard... don't you? (Hint: Once you do a search for unusual hair, the options are endless.) 


It is audacious, but I thought I would follow Lear's limerick with a little poem I wrote a year or so ago, when... ahem... I was moved to write the following:

Demise of an Old Guy’s Prize

Grandpa’s face hair was unruly
Bristly, scraggly, scary… truly!
Grandma noticed Grandpa snoring
Shaved him ‘til his face was boring.

© Karen Eastlund 2018

It seemed the better part of valor to use photos from outside the family to explore this idea. And NO, I did not shave my hubby's face, but I did trim his eyebrows! 

These photos led to the next quote... which pertains to our current predicament.
featured-imageJack Elam and his signature Cowboy hat



Image may contain: possible text that says 'Having trouble forcing yourself to stay home? Shave your eyebrows off. StayingAliveisNotEnough Staying'

Hahaha....

Okay, I hope this brought at least a smile, if not a laugh. Here's a fancy hairdo on one of my lovely grands, to leave you with a nice image. (This came from a salon. Just getting the knots out of long hair is enough to undo me.)


Getting bored? Try a fancy hairdo... learn to braid. Try to memorize all those knots that are helpful for sailors and around the house. Personally, I have to work hard to make a square knot instead of a granny. Can you do it?


drawing knots reef knot

Okay, everyone, comb the knots out of your hair and keep safe. It's a hairy time... but you can do it.

Hey! It's Poetry Friday!  You can be part of a Friday blog party called Poetry Friday. This week all the participants will post their links at Tabatha Yeatts: The Opposite of Indifference. Join us!


10 comments:

  1. Love all the 'hairy' moments, Karen, and it is very good to laugh after a long day, again. My daughter can actually create braids like your grand's in her own hair. I know how to French braid, but not my own. Oh my, that man's beard! And I loved "Shaved him ‘til his face was boring." Best wishes to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely look for the fun in mundane! And for sure, share it! Winning combination, there. I enjoyed your post - all neatly knotted together. Thank-you! (Poor Grandpa.😹)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do give me smiles! I love your limerick and the thought of Grandpa's hair! ha! I know what you mean about the small ugh...my haircuts are my spa treatment! I will miss them terribly! One of my daughters has some talent for art and loves messing with hair...I just might.....give her the scissors? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for such a delightful post. We definitely needed to smile and laugh today. What great photos and poems. I was wondering the other day what everyone will look like after not being able to get their hair cut after several months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your "small ugh." I was scheduled for a trim on 3/20. Nope. Didn't happen. So I'm embracing the shaggy look. Maybe my hair will be long enough for a ponytail again after all this is over...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hair-larious, Karen! Sometimes it's the little things that really bring us down, like not being able to get our hair trimmed. I like your poem, poor Grandpa. My hubby trims my hair...born out of necessity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, thank you for the smiles and laughter! It is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A welcome diversion, Karen - too fun! And, actually, I just trimmed my OWN hair yesterday (Don't tell my regular hairdresser, who will find out next time I can go...). I actually took a few swipes with a pair of thinning scissors, too - bought them online last week and then watched a how-to video or two. None of which equals professional training or experience, but desperate times, you know... ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed your post, Karen! "Shaved him til his face was boring" is a clever ending. Are those two photos of the same guy?? He looks so different, and I love the fellow with the kitten in his beard. I cut my own hair and one of my daughters, so that is easy enough, but my husband is starting to talk about me cutting his, and that makes me nervous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two photos are of an actor we often saw in westerns back in the day. yes, it is the same guy. I do cut my husband's hair, but his brother was a barber and I watched him carefully for a number of years.

      Delete