Friday, July 12, 2024

A Song of... I don't know?

 Welcome to a belated post in the Thursday Spiritual Journey Group.  Ruth Hersey is hosting, and has provided the prompt "I don't know."  Where will it lead?

I've had a most remarkable week.   

I have been leading the craft section of our church's Vacation Bible School. We had about 60 children, ages 4yrs to 6th grade.  Each day they came through our craft room in age groupings, and we provided craft activities for 25 minutes.  Five groups each morning. Move, move, move!

Early in the week we painted with forks to make puffer fish, folded origami angel fish, made whales and decorated whale flukes. We provided a verse or message with most crafts, affirming that each is a "child of God."  Midweek we made craft stick anchors and talked about the cross at the top. "We have this hope as an anchor." 

my sample... we learned that one big fish was challenge enough!

We cut pool noodles and set up an assembly line to make a little floating boat, crewed by a craft stick person and bearing a flag with the fisherman's prayer. Who doesn't love a floating craft? Friday we shared contagious giggles over our sharks... creative license led to baby vampire sharks, girl sharks with hair and hair bows, cross-eyed sharks, etc. We loved the number of legs on our metallic orange cupcake- liner crabs. Our message read "God is a friend you can trust" and we quietly added "even when you're crabby."

I've had an amazing, large and dedicated group of helpers. It has turned out to be such a wonderful week. Hectic? Yes. Energy draining? Yes. Rewarding? Yes.

I went into this week with excitement and trepidation. I knew I would love the kids, and I love providing crafts, but could we put it all together and make it work? We worked hard, and we did. And we've all been astounded at the blessings of faith and creativity in these children. 

 my puffer fish sample

I lost sleep trying to stay ahead of our needs. It has been a challenge to keep my thoughts straight with the schedule, the number of kids in each group, the change of craft as we cycle from younger to older. It's been a mad rush of activity for this grandma.

I don't know how to measure my love and appreciation for my helpers. I've made new friends and deepened relationships over the craziness and the creativity and the earnestness of each child. I feel so blessed to be part of this team.  

We made it through Friday, but only by God's grace. I feel that we gave our best, and I'm pleased. It seems somehow miraculous that through our simple work with markers and glue sticks, God stepped in and fed our hearts. 

I can't leave without a song to reflect my mood, so... here you go... I love these things...


I don't know if I'll have the energy to do this again, and I don't know how I can fully express my feelings about it. I only know I have been blessed beyond measure.


I wish you an uplifting and praiseworthy time this summer also. Feel free to share in the comments.  You can find more thoughts on this theme at Ruth's blog... click HERE. Thanks for hosting and for this interesting prompt, Ruth!








4 comments:

  1. A perfect song - Ode to Joy! - for your experience of being with and guiding all these children and adults who helped. Sometimes when we let go of needing to control all the details, we find joy in the "just being with" -- surely an immense blessing! Thank you, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, the joy you feel shines through this piece. I can’t think of anything more rewarding than helping children release their inner creativity. Affirming each child as “a child of God” builds that child’s foundation in faith. Congratulations to you and your team for putting this week together for the children. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I am delighted to read that you shared your creativity with your team and campers in such an organized manner. The children must have benefited from your commitment and joy as a teacher and shepherd of the Lord who not only provided artistic fun but a positive way of looking at being a child of God. Be proud of your work and continue to enjoy the summer with your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once led our church's VBS for years. I can't really remember how long ago, though. We haven't held a VBS since Covid. I can hear both your excitement and exhaustion. One thing I always loved about doing VBS was how so much happened, but then was over in a week. The Arts and Crafts were my favorite. Sounds like you had some wonderful helpers, too, which makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete