Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Looking Back: Enduring Song

 Welcome to Spiritual Journey Thursday. Here you will find a group of authors and poets who write monthly about spiritual matters. You are welcome to write your own response and join in. I'm hosting today so you will find links to other posts in today's comments. Our prompt is about looking into the past for something that has shaped or inspired our current spiritual practice or outlook. 


When I was a child, my family attended a lovely little church. Every Sunday we sang a call-and-response liturgy which became very natural to me and which included these words from Psalm 51:

Create in me a clean heart, O God

and renew a right spirit within me

cast me not away from thy presence

and take not thy Holy Spirit from me.

Restore unto me

the joy of thy salvation

and uphold me with thy free spirit.



These words are inscribed on my heart and in my head. They come to me unbidden, and have become some of my favorite verses. My current church does not practice a musical liturgy, and I sometimes miss it. For me, there is value in the repetition of these words. Over time they have grown in meaning as they were repeated and reconsidered. I find that now, in my grandmother years, the music and words come to me as both a comfort and a strength. 

Words and music hold immense power. They move us to action or bring us to tears. I've put some of my favorite prayers, scripture and quotes on my walls and over my desk. I like being surrounded with words that lift me up and orient me spiritually.

I hope you have found, or will find, words/songs/psalms that take on deep meaning, that you can fall back on as touchstones. I hope they bring you strength, joy, courage and peace.  

Many blessings, and thanks for reading. 



13 comments:

  1. Karen, first I thank you for hosting Spiritual Journey Thursday. Your prompt inspired me to open my heart to my bumpy journey this past month and find a Bible verse that spoke to me in such a personal way. Your touchstone words and music seem to comfort your days and soothe your thoughts as they should. May you continue to bring faith and love to your family in your grandmother years and send out positive vibes of peace and friendship to your readers. It has been a pleasure to compose a post this month with your positive spirit at the helm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blog post, "Pause & Reflect on the Spiritual Journey", is ready for viewing at https://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2024/05/journeying-to-recovery.html.

      Delete
  2. Here's my post: https://thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com/2024/06/sjt-looking-back-looking-forward.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, thank you for hosting this month’s Spiritual Journey Thursday. I will post my link when I get the post written.
    With the state of the world today it is so easy to get depressed and wonder how we will ever survive. I like how you have surrounded yourself with uplifting thoughts and words. I wholeheartedly agree with you that music is powerful and can lift us up. May your positivity continue to be a beacon to you grandchildren and all who come in contact with you. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. I turn to song, too. Today it is "It is Well". It's a peaceful mantra. Thanks for hosting: https://reflectionsontheteche.com/2024/06/06/spiritual-thursday-it-is-well/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the words of song, but decided to write about scripture today. Often they are one and the same since many words of scripture can be found in music. I like how you've surrounded yourself with the words that lift and orient you spiritually. Thanks for hosting, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is Ramona's link: https://pleasuresfromthepage.blogspot.com/2024/06/spiritual-journey-thursday-comforted-by.html?sc=1717706873092#c504121185685004664

      Delete
  6. Thanks for hosting! Here's my contribution: https://ruthayreswrites.com/2024/06/06/looking-back-to-see-ahead/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful hymn, and I appreciate the invitation to slow down and consider the songs and words that take on deep meaning. I shared a Psalm in my post that has helped me through many rocky trails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Karen! This is beautiful! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the posts, everyone -- my commenting hasn't been very successful today, but I read all your posts and was touched by all of them! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, here is the link to my post. Bob
    https://wordpress.com/post/arjeha.wordpress.com/15079

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, Thank you for this prompt! As I thought about what I wanted to write about -- thinking of looking back, looking forward -- I was struck by what are the formative experiences and memories that we carry with us. Music and prayer bubbled forward for me, too. And then I realized how all are seeds. Every moment, an opportunity for reflection and for growth.

    Here is the link to my post:
    https://patriciajfranz.com/blog-looking-back-looking-forward/

    ReplyDelete