Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Progressive Poem 2024 is Here!

 Hello Everyone:

It's my day to add to this year's Progressive Poem. I think this is the third time I've participated in this month-long tradition of adding a line to a poem written by the participants in our Poetry Friday forum.




This idea was started in 2012 by Irene Latham as a celebration of National Poetry Month. The Progressive Poem is now hosted by Margaret Simon. Thank you, Margaret, for this gorgeous graphic and for organizing this year's poem and giving it shape.

Here is the poem so far, with my lines in bold:


cradled in stars, our planet sleeps,
clinging to tender dreams of peace
sister moon watches from afar
    singing lunar lullabies of hope.

almost dawn, I walk with others,
    keeping close, my little brother.
hand in hand, we carry courage
escaping closer to the border.

My feet are lightning;
My heart is thunder.
Our pace draws us closer
to a new land of wonder.

I bristle against rough brush --
poppies ahead brighten the browns.
Morning light won't stay away --
Hearts jump at every sound.
I hum my own little song
like ripples in a stream


And now I pass the poem along to Linda Baie at Teacher Dance. I hope you will follow along!

Here’s the schedule for the 2024 Progressive Poem:

April 1 Patricia Franz at Reverie
April 2 Jone MacCulloch
April 3 Janice Scully at Salt City Verse
April 4 Leigh Anne Eck at A Day in the Life
April 5 Irene at Live Your Poem
April 6 Margaret at Reflections on the Teche
April 7 Marcie Atkins
April 8 Ruth at There is No Such Thing as a God Forsaken Town
April 9 Karen Eastlund
April 10 Linda Baie at Teacher Dance
April 11 Buffy Silverman
April 12 Linda Mitchell
April 13 Denise Krebs at Dare to Care
April 14 Carol Varsalona at Beyond Literacy Link
April 15 Rose Cappelli at Imagine the Possibilities
April 16 Sarah Grace Tuttle
April 17 Heidi Mordhorst at my juicy little universe
April 18 Tabatha at Opposite of Indifference
April 19 Catherine Flynn at Reading to the Core
April 20 Tricia Stohr-Hunt at The Miss Rumphius Effect
April 21 Janet, hosted here at Reflections on the Teche
April 22 Mary Lee Hahn at A(nother) Year of Reading
April 23 Tanita Davis at (fiction, instead of lies)
April 24 Molly Hogan at Nix the Comfort Zone
April 25 Joanne Emery at Word Dancer
April 26 Karin Fisher-Golton at Still in Awe
April 27
April 28 Dave at Leap of Dave
April 29 Robyn Hood Black at Life on the Deckle Edge
April 30 Michelle Kogan at More Art for All




8 comments:

  1. Well, you know it would be me reading early, Karen. It's a happy image you've given us with all that is happening with this child. Now you have me pondering. . . Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the story is building with sound, the humming and a stream rippling. I can almost see them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello All: I was thinking about Margaret Simon's idea of a new land of wonder when I wrote these lines... I thought about young children, and how they are in their own heads, self centered, so to speak. This image seemed appropriate for the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for calming our character with the music they carry in their head!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Karen. I like the humming and remembering during this stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I wonder what's going to happen? Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, leave it to you to introduce a song with a comparison to a ripples in a stream. This week, I heard the creek's song of little ripples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A way to calm one's self in an uncertain situation - thank you for the content and the lovely imagery, Karen.

    ReplyDelete