Friday, February 16, 2024

Big Birds!

 Hello all Friday Poetry Friends and visitors. I'm throwing together a post today, last minute. Why not?!!

I've been trying to write daily as per the Stafford Challenge. I watched Kim Stafford's presentation, but I haven't followed too closely beyond that. Nonetheless, I'm writing more, and that is a good thing. 

So... I watch the eagle nest which is streamed from Duke Farms, near me. Today there's snow in the nest, the wind is up, and the parent eagle is snuggling dried grass around the edge of the incubation area. One day, not long ago, I caught the sight of the nest with two beautiful eggs, but no parent. It took my breath away! Then a happy resolution. So I wrote this little poem:


Two bare eggs in a cold nest

Enters a flourish of feathers

Gentle turning of an egg

Two eggs snuggled

I smile 

-Karen Eastlund, draft



Another day, on my walk along the river, I saw a blue heron in a tree. I'm still struggling to express my impression of that heron, but in my various attempts I wrote this limerick. Call it a draft... it's a draft!



Heron

Hunched in the cold on a limb

From his crown to his toes he looks grim

But one jab from his beak

And your chances are weak

When he stalks he can feast at his whim.

- Karen Eastlund, draft



That's it for me today. Find the whole gang at Margaret Simon's Reflections on the Teche

Don't miss her co-mingling of joy and grief in two lovely poems. Thanks for hosting today, Margaret!




6 comments:

  1. Those two tiny eggs alone in that big nest! I am glad that you saw the eagle return. I love "flourish of feathers." Also, that nest is made with some huge sticks. Building it must have been quite a feat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is almost time for our yearly watching of wood ducks nesting in our nesting box. Following them, I often worry when the mother duck leaves the nest. I'm glad you were able to witness that rare occasion and were assured of their return. I think your limerick is perfect. Especially the last line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed both of your poems, Karen. I hope you get to see the eagle babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful images, Karen. I love how herons always look like they have bad posture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! You had me at "Birds!" Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, observations lead us to writing. A nest with only eggs led you to a wonderful line, "Enters a flourish of feathers". There is peace in that line. The warmth of family love is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete