Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Life at the Speed of Grace: Finding Beauty

 I turn 75 next month. Three quarters of a century! At times it feels like crazy talk, but of course it is true. I have the documentation. (Tiny chuckle inserted here.)

Life is slowing. I was reminded this summer when I overdid getting some chores done and felt several subsequent repercussions. I had to slow down and rest. Just rest. Time to be still and trust. Be still and listen. Be still and know...

What came of it? A lesson in patience. These are a constant need for me. A lesson in gratitude when I began to feel better, when I found some helpful hints on how to go forward. Gratitude for the ability to search and to learn. Gratitude for a body ready to go again. And a lesson in paying attention to my physical self and taking time to take care. Another constant need.

For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven...  
Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8   

No matter the speed, grace continues to offer the best surprises. In the middle of CostCo recently, a little girl shrieked and I looked up. Our eyes met and she gave me the most knowing and beautiful smile that a tiny child could give. Yes! You got my attention. And for that moment of time, we shared a bit of humor that brightened my day.

Seasons come and seasons go. Each day is a chance to identify works of grace (in our church we call them God sightings), to celebrate, explore, find beauty, share laughter, give thanks.

Here are some images of beauty and grace in my world. 


Delicious beefsteak tomatoes from my garden


I'm trying a couple of fall crops this year... a hopeful venture.


Spider flowers/cleome reseed year after year. Summer ends "in the pink!"


While walking I found this blossom in the midst of wreckage


Peperomia at summer's end.


My peperomia looks so healthy now after breathing in the summer's air and light. I'll bring it in for the winter and it will bring me beauty and joy all winter long.




Thanks to Patricia Franz for this prompt and for hosting this month.
You can find her offering and links HERE.







8 comments:

  1. Oh Karen, I can relate so well to that knock down to stillness. I am moving out of the darkness now. I'm so grateful for my writing community that fuels me, encourages me, finds hope in my words. Happy Birthday! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, Happy Birthday! You are young at heart basking in the beauty of nature. Your God sightings ( love this word) are represented in your garden. Jersey tomatoes are always said to be the best. Take it easy! The slow-down is a special place to find grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, have a happy birthday next month. You have captured something special here. I love the challenge to "each day" identify "works of grace" (or God sightings--beautiful).

    I haven't seen cleome flowers for years. They used to be one of my favorites, when I lived where they would grow! Thanks for the photos of these gifts of grace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I love your post. Sorry for the slow-down that hit you hard. I love the progression in your paragraph. Slow down and rest, be still and trust, be still and listen, be still and know. There's Carol's powerful OLW, "be! "Grace continues to offer the best surprises." Great pics, but my favorite has to be your tomatoes. Because of the move, this is the first year in many that I didn't grow any cherry tomatoes and I missed them so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, I love this post. Here's the thing--I don't want to slow down. But, my body is requiring that I slow down so that I don't break it. Ugh! My pride gets in the way as well as my impatience. I so "get" what you write about in this post. Yes, I have the documentation too--lol. I have so much more living I want to fit in than I have time to do it. I appreciate when God grants me the grace to be still and enjoy what I have.
    That tomato breakfast looks wonderful! Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminder to savor life in the slow speed of grace is so rich, Karen. As is the truth that "grace continues to offer the best surprises" - the "God-sightings," the beautiful moments when the gift of being alive (certainly for three quarters of a century-!) transcends words. I can see that little girl with a radiant smile. Oh, the grace of nature, inherent in plants and your photos - how they speak to hope of overcoming, to triumph despite all! Grace sustains. Thank you for every uplifting word and observation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! I really liked your take on the topic. Your pictures were gorgeous. Especially those beefsteak tomatoes. I have another hour until lunch, those tomatoes whet my appetite.

    Everyday there are works of grace we can take pictures of like you so ably have. There are also works of grace that aren't as photogenic like the kindness of strangers, the peace that passes understanding, and the changes that God makes within us.

    Thanks for having us keep an eye out for them,

    http://dave-homeschooldad.blogspot.com/2023/09/sjt-richer-still-in-grace.html

    ReplyDelete