Thursday, August 10, 2023

Gerard Manley Hopkins

The summer is nearing its end and I am just beginning to harvest tomatoes. The deer ate all the early ones, but we finally had a lovely one with our dinner last night. And speaking of deer, they were nibbling on some new elderberry bushes again, so I got some peppermint spray and headed out to the yard when there, caught in the act, were two fauns. Still sporting their spots but getting leggy, they ran when we clapped.  Such a heart tug because they are beautiful and graceful, but so destructive.

Two weeks ago was the birthday of Gerard Manley Hopkins.  I just discovered Moonrise, shared below. What a treasure!  

You can find more about Hopkins' life HERE.  and more of his poetry HERE.  



Image by gmccrea from Pixabay


Moonrise











I awoke in the Midsummer not to call night, in the white and the walk of the morning:
The moon, dwindled and thinned to the fringe of a finger-nail held to the candle,
Or paring of paradisaïcal fruit, lovely in waning but lustreless,
Stepped from the stool, drew back from the barrow, of dark Maenefa the mountain;
A cusp still clasped him, a fluke yet fanged him, entangled him, not quit utterly.
This was the prized, the desirable sight, unsought, presented so easily,
Parted me leaf and leaf, divided me, eyelid and eyelid of slumber.



Hopkins always surprises and delights me with his word choices... his "fringe of a finger-nail" and "paring of fruit" in this poem, and elsewhere his "dappled things"  and "shook foil."  

I hope you will find some favorites.


Thanks to Tabatha Yeatts at The Opposite of Indifference for hosting the Poetry Friday roundup today. Believe me when I say that you will not want to miss her hilarious poem.  What a hoot!!! 

Good summer wishes to you all.





13 comments:

  1. Karen, thank you for sharing. I forgot about Gerard Manley Hopkins. It's been a long time since I've read his work. College maybe. "Fringe of a finger-nail" is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especialy love "in the white and the walk of the morning." Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much to digest in this slice of moonlight! It is wonderful to read and read again. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am usually up in the dark, connect to and love the way he celebrates "dwindled and thinned to. . ." that last glimpse before the sun takes over. Thanks, Karen! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found GMH during my theology program; his poetry opened up for me the sense that steadfast faith is found in the everyday. Thank you for sharing this, Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I love the ending and "The moon, dwindled and thinned to the fringe of a finger-nail held to the candle." Good luck with the deer! Our neighborhood deer is not even scared of my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect ending...just the very words to close it out. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore, "dwindled and thinned to the fringe of a finger-nail held to the candle" THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a new-to-me GMH. Like you, I love his "dappled things."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to Google paradisaical (I'm getting a read line on the spelling) and loved the definition. I'm not sure I could use it quite as eloquently as Hopkins. Makes you really think about word choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Karen. I wasn’t familiar with Gerald Manley Hopkins and it was interesting to read his background and his connection to John Henry Newman. His word choices are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete