Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Words We Fall Back On

 



Welcome to our Spiritual Journey for March, 2023. Today I've asked members of the group to write about words they fall back on. I think that many of us have special verses or poems, hymns or quotes that give us strength and encouragement, and act as touchstones. 




Frederick Buechner wrote these words about the Power of Language:


I started to sense that words not only convey something, but are something; that words have color, depth, texture of their own, and the power to evoke vastly more than they mean; that words can be used not merely to make things clear, make things vivid, make things interesting and whatever else, but to make things happen inside the one who reads them or hears them. 

 

-Originally published in The Sacred Journey



Like Buechner, I love words and their power, life and texture. 

I am drawn to words, as any poet will admit. 


To me, nothing is more powerful than the first verse of the Gospel of John:


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, 

and the Word was God.


I try to surround myself with words that encourage, delight, elevate, challenge, focus and lead the way. 


Lately I find myself falling back on this verse from Philippians 4:8 --


Fix your thoughts on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 


The world offers many temptations

At times I need a reminder to focus my thoughts, to remember that God is in charge. This Philippians verse has become a touchstone for me. 

Think about things that are excellent!!! 





Reflect beauty... reflect light...



Over my desk is this quote from Ray Bradbury: 


We all are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.  


 Bradbury endorses my OLW for the year: beauty. He suggests we act as filters, shedding the mundane and downright ugly, and sharing beauty. 

I'm all for it.


I hope you will leave your comments and links below. 

I look forward to reading the words you fall back on.













12 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting. I will come back to read your post. Here is my link: https://reflectionsontheteche.com/2023/03/02/spiritual-journey-slice-of-life-meaningful-words/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, thanks for this prompt and your words you shared with us today. I am drawn to words too and savor the comfort and soft spot they provide. Here's my link: https://pleasuresfromthepage.blogspot.com/2023/03/sol-231-sjt-words-to-fall-back-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Previous anonymous was Ramona!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, this is a great prompt. I think all writers know the power of a well-chosen word. The first verse of the gospel of John is the cornerstone of all that comes after. Thanks for getting us to think about words and how they shape and influence our lives.
    Here is the link to my post: https://arjeha.wordpress.com/2023/03/02/its-only-words/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Karen, I think our world needs Philippians more than ever these days! I am delighting in Bradbury's words: let the beautiful stuff out! I will keep that close to my heart too. Thank you for this prompt and for hosting this week.

    Here is my post: https://patriciajfranz.com/blog-words-we-fall-back-on/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, hello, hello. I have a post up serving not just one or two but three purposes. My goodness. Thank you for the wonderful prompt. I really love it. It so fits my OLW for '23. I might just hang out with this prompt for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! My post is up at: https://awordedgewiselindamitchell.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  7. Hi Karen and all, I've come back to this post to read it more carefully and I'm again so thankful for it. I joined SJT with gusto...and...I'm yet, I'm still very shy about publishing my thoughts about God and my journey with God. I tend to stick to more of an almost God posting. But, I so appreciate this post and others that do share faith. The sacred nature of words is something to ponder and I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to be back in this circle this month, and look forward to reading all of your posts! Thank you so much for hosting, Karen; your prompt led me to revisit some of my favorite inspirational writings. https://horizon51.blogspot.com/2023/03/spiritual-journey-thursday-words-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margaret: I agree. Totally. When I'm driving I have to force myself to watch the road instead of the birds, the trees, the flowers... and yes, the people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, I am with the grandgirls and for one hour I get to relax in words and the act of writing. I am taking advantage of this luxury-quiet time. I finished my SJT / Slice early early this morning.I would have had it ready at 12 Midnight but once again I fell asleep with the laptop on my lap. When my husband gingerly moved it, I awoke and decided to finish the piece but once again had no time to post it until now. You can find my thoughts at https://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2023/03/words-to-fall-back-on-sjt.html. Thank you for your post that is filled with quotes and inspiration. Your digital graphic is beautiful and it does do justice to your one word. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so very late, but this was such a great prompt that I couldn't NOT do it. Here's my post: https://thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com/2023/03/spiritual-journey-thursday-words-we.html

    ReplyDelete