Friday, March 24, 2023

Hope Chest

 Today's blog celebrates my mother's old hope chest, which is 100 years old this year. She was given this chest when she turned 16, and little did she know then of the ten children she would raise, or of the many grandchildren and great grandchildren that followed. I admit, I am currently behind in the count. 

I was surprised that no one else in the family wanted her hope chest. As furniture goes, I suppose it shouldn't have been a surprise. It is anything but pristine. I remember it sitting in our upstairs, full of blankets and quilts. We sat on it, stood on it as a stage when giving a play, and probably used it as a barrier during rubber band wars.  The scratches and dings remind me of our life together, and I view them warmly. 


Today the chest holds a quilt made by Mama's mother, Grace Pierce. Hand stitched, it is a beautiful lone star quilt which was once on my wall but is now a bit lumpy and needs rest. It also holds some weavings that I made years ago, some hats and mittens, and a flag or two. The beauty of the chest, however, is that it prompts memories. One hundred years of memories. 


Hope Chest

She would have loved 
the shoes of grands
and great-grands
huddled around 
her battered old 
hope chest.
If only she 
could hear 
their voices...
If, for a  
single day,
she could
join us...
catch the aroma 
of fresh coffee,
hear the clatter 
of pans 
on the stove
and a child
practicing piano,
or playing cards 
snapping 
on the table,
laughter erupting,
whispers of comfort,
shuffling chairs,
a contented sigh after 
homemade bread
with butter...

How her eyes would shine.

 - Karen Eastlund

It dawns on me that even Mama would be surprised at some of the tales this chest could tell. And then again, maybe it's silence is a treasure also.

Margaret Simon's photo prompt this week set me off to find these photos and write this poem. Thank you Margaret!  



It's Poetry Friday at Rose Cappelli's blog... she's sharing poems celebrating spring HERE.  Thanks so much for hosting, Rose.  





14 comments:

  1. Karen, this is such a lovely post about a treasured, 100-year-old piece of furniture. This line shares a story in itself: "The scratches and dings remind me of our life together, and I view them warmly." I love hearing thoughts like this. In our lives, there are so many reminders of family who has passed and the love that they sent out and still do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely keepsake, Karen! I love the picture of all the shoes gathered around, as if they are holding vigil. You have some beautiful cherished memories. And I'm certain your mother's eyes are shining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post and learning about that fabulous heirloom. 100 years old. Wow!! The final line in your poem is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem is so evocative... thank you for the window into your family's heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, beautiful post. I love the photos; glad you found them for this. I couldn't help but think of my mom's cedar chest, which would be about 85 years old today, and is part of my daughter's life in Minneapolis now. I think the idea of our moms joining us for a day would be really special, and you have identified so many of the little moments they would love to see, hear, smell, taste and touch. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've reminded me how much my brother and I love our grandmother's table that he has, all those "scratches and dings" from our special times together. I love that you included all the scenes, Karen, like "practicing piano,
    or playing cards
    snapping
    on the table,
    laughter erupting,
    whispers of comfort,
    shuffling chairs. It's a wonderful poem for the hope chest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this beautiful poem. It enhances the images the Hope chest my grandmother had. It was filled with feather blankets and pillows which were wrapped around me to keep me from cool air of the attic. There were giggles and love that I will never forget

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasured piece. And I love the idea of the chest listening, perhaps a stand-in for the spirit of your mom's listening. Beautiful memory. I'm glad you kept it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amen! I do think her eyes would shine...I hope there's a way for me to visit future generations. It would make me so happy if a child or grand would remember me this way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, your post comes gently wrapped in nostalgia and memory. I love how these treasured family pieces have so many stories and memories attached to them. There is a sense of longing in your poem as well. You told the story so clearly in both your narrative and your poem. Each surface imperfection tells a little of the journey through time. The hope chest had been duly honoured.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, what a special heirloom! I like to think that your mother can hear every sound you mentioned, see every precious sight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen, I love all the tiny details that would bring your mother joy. This poem's a delight :>)

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's there, Karen, your poem gave witness to it. Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Karen! Thanks for your comment on my blog about Poetry in the Halls. I'm glad you'd like to be part of it! I wanted to ask you about a different poem. Could you email me? tabathayeatts@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete