Friday, October 28, 2022

Autumn Joy

 Autumn is my favorite time of year. The scorching sun settles down, each day becomes a little easier, and the crisp nights are refreshing. So here, without further ado, is some autumn joy for you!


The poem below came to me via The Writer's Almanac. Barbara Crooker is new to me, but I will surely be looking for more of her poetry. 



And Now it's October

the golden hour of the clock of the year. Everything that can run
to fruit has already done so: round apples, oval plums, bottom-heavy
pears, black walnuts and hickory nuts annealed in their shells,
the woodchuck with his overcoat of fat. Flowers that were once bright
as a box of crayons are now seed heads and thistle down. All the feathery
grasses shine in the slanted light... 

- by Barbara Crooker from Small Rain
find the rest of this poem here.

I can't pass October without celebrating pumpkins. I find them is so compelling. 




Oh, that Jack-O!

Of all the pumpkins in the patch
This one called "Choose ME!"
Tough and bright and jaunty
Bold as it could be

As soon as I cut two eyes and mouth
Seemed Jack-O almost snickered
And I'm sure that rascal winked at me
Each time the candle flickered

© Karen Eastlund





Autumn is beautiful in New Jersey. The colors are still peaking (peeking) and each day I'm thankful for this gorgeous splash of color.




I hope this time of year is lovely where you live also.

Don't miss the Poetry Friday gathering, this week hosted by Jone Rush MacCulloch.  Click the blue link to find more poetry posts:  Jone   Thanks for hosting, Jone!







9 comments:

  1. Love those jack-o-lantern teeth! How clever!
    Barbara Crooker is also new to me, and "the golden hour" of the year is a phrase I will absolutely cherish. How lovely. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I love pumpkins too! Your "Oh, that Jack-O!" poem is fun and easy to believe! What a face! And, I like the poem you chose from Barbara Crooker. I'll have to look for more of her poetry too! She imbedded lots of great nature images! Thanks for sharing! Carol from The Apples in My Orchard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, thanks for sharing Crocker's poem and yours. I enjoyed your pumpkin shining bright through the night. In face, I would like to add your lit pumpkin along with the poem to my Finding Fall 2022 Padlet Gallery if it is fine with you. (https://padlet.com/cvarsalona/awz68cfim4nac1rp)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the October joy, Karen! Those teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, too, Karen, and keep taking pictures of the trees. Alas, the leaves are dropping (& I am raking). I love your jack 'o lantern teeth, too, a new idea! And the poems celebrate both joys of October! (Find more Barbara Crooker. Her poems are special.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow- the pink that seeps through your red-leaf photo is incredible!
    We are carving our jack-o-lanterns today! Can't wait for that flicker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara Crooker is my kind of poet--drunk on the glories of October. Thanks for sharing this beautiful poem. I love it! And, your photos illustrate the joy perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I delight with each season. Barbara Cooker is fabulous as is your pumpkin and the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learned about Barbara Crooker from Jama. She's one of my favorite poets now! This poem of hers pairs so nicely with the Paul Lawrence Dunbar poem that Karen Edmisten shared!

    ReplyDelete