Thursday, March 10, 2022

I love this photo...


I came across this photo and had to write about it. Plus, I'm reading a piece by John McPhee about a NJ wildlife officer who tags bears and follows them, keeps them out of trouble, teaches people how to live with bears in the same habitat.  But what do you think?  Maybe this is a little too close?



 

Anyway, here's my offering du jour...


Hiya, Honey! 

You're so sweet! 
Is that chocolate in your pocket?

I may be short, but I'm very interested
And hungry. Oh so hungry.

Got food?
I love to share

No?
Bummer!

Maybe you could help me
Find my mama

I feel a bit growly
Grrrrr! Grrr!


© Karen Eastlund





It is Poetry Friday, which means that lots of poetry buffs are posting at our host blog, which today is Poetry for Children co-authored by Sylvia Vardell and Janet Wong.  Please stop by and see what they have cooked up for you. (That's a little humor, but you'll have to visit them to find out why.)  

We switch to Daylight Savings Time this weekend... spring can't be far behind.



12 comments:

  1. I 'beary' much like that pic and your poem, Karen! I wouldn't want to be near a bear when they are hangry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeep, my comment disappeared! Just saying how much I love this pic and your poem... but I wouldn't want to be this close to a young bear, at least not like this...b/c Mama is bound to come charging in at any moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great photo!! LOVE your poem and all things beary. :) I agree, though, I wouldn't want to be that close to a wild one. He kind of reminds me of Winnie in the London Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grrrrr! Grrr! made me laugh, Karen. I remember going to Yellowstone years ago when they actually brought out the garbage to lure bears in so tourists could admire. What we didn't know might kill us. The picture & your poem's voice - delightful. I guess wildlife personnel are better at it than we would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! So dangerous to be that close to a cub--Mama's sure to be nearby. Yikes. What a fun poem you wrote in response, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, the photo you chose for your poem is an amazing shot. I guess the park ranger is not worried about standing so close to the bear. These lines from the bear's point of view are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, fun offering of this sweet bear talking to the brave wildlife officer. "Is that chocolate in your pocket?" made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! I see too many of these to believe they're so friendly and conversant, but love the twist! I'm going to have to try a poem inspired by a photo next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness there's a story behind that photo, for sure! I love how you used it as inspiration for your poem. My first instinct was to wonder what the person was thinking - I love how you flipped that and wrote from the perspective of the bear! Thanks for sharing this with us today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Priceless photo and I love your poem, makes me smile too, though I wouldn't care to be that close to that bear either… Thanks Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love using photos as prompts too-- and your poem voice is so fun and appealing! Thanks for joining the poetry Friday celebration this week and connecting with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an engaging photo and poem. Are you interested in participating in the Kidlit Progressive Poem? Only a few dates left: https://reflectionsontheteche.com/2022/02/17/kidlit-progressive-poem-sign-up/

    ReplyDelete