Thursday, February 24, 2022

Duality



 It's that time of year when the weather is all over the board. Some days in the 60's, some nights in the teens. In between is a rollercoaster of everything: sun, clouds, rain, snow, furious winds. Crazy! 

I feel like I'm all over the board also. I can't concentrate. My mind flits from one thing to another, much like the weather. One morning I took our visiting canine out for a walk and it felt like a lovely spring day. By the time I headed home the wind had picked up, the temperature was dropping, clouds were rolling in and I found myself hurrying toward my front door.  An event later that day spawned the first poem below.

I decided to try a poetic form I had not tried... the triolet.  Here are two that crawled out of my pen. Once I put them on the same page they seemed to reflect the hot and cold duality of our weather as it zigzags its way toward spring.


I'm mesmerized by falling snow
Today high winds whipped up a squall
Bright sun and calm before it though
I'm mesmerized by falling snow
A few stray flakes took aim below
When next I looked, a frenzied brawl
I'm mesmerized by falling snow
Today high winds whipped up a squall
© Karen Eastlund




A flock of robins found my yard
They feast on holly berries here
Their visit's like a greeting card
A flock of robins found my yard!
A note of mirth, a spring vanguard
A lilting call that rings with cheer
A flock of robins found my yard
They feast on holly berries here
© Karen Eastlund


Image by Linda Mitchell

It's Poetry Friday at The Miss Rumphius Effect .  Thanks to Tricia for hosting, and for inviting us all to try a new poetic challenge next month.  Find her challenge at the link above.

Stay warm, stay safe, and have a good one!


13 comments:

  1. This is a poetic form I have yet to try! (Adding it to my list :-). I love that you've given us two poems - it really helps showcase the elements of the form. I particularly like the Robin poem - the phrase "A flock of robins found my yard" is so full of joy and hope for the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In both of your poems, the repeated verse expresses that feeling of back and forth of the weather. I love the scene of robins, a harbinger of spring to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are both lovely, and here in New York the weather has similar changes. I have tried this form and like the repetition. I especially love "A flock of robins found my yard"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, Karen. The triolet's such a lyrical form. Glad you decided to write these. Love robins' visit "like a greeting card." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These two triolets that 'crawled out of your pen' represent the juxtaposition of the topsy-turvy weather, Karen. Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Triolets are always fun! You've done a great job with these. The crazy end-of-winter weather seems particularly suited to this form.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading triolets aloud and these are no exception -- you're a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These triolets are great -- I need to find out the name of the little stripey-headed bird that visits my yard and flings seed constantly -- your robins definitely sound cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and so well-formed matching your weather experience. I really like these and echo the comments of those who have written above. I agree especially with Liz Garton Scanlon...you're a natural at this form!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two great poems for this wacky in-between season of warm - snow - warm! Hooray for the robins!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried a triolet before! What a strange in-between time this season is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen, your triolets roll off the page with ease. I love this line: Their visit's like a greeting card. I do so love the birds visiting my property. I hear some tweeting but don't see the birds. Maybe they are in shock with this up-down weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, these are both lovely! I especially love the greeting card line!

    ReplyDelete