Thursday, April 15, 2021

Bare Branches

Spring is in full swing now, here in NJ. Trees are blossoming in lovely whites and pinks, and the forsythia are bragging their bright yellows. My daffodils have already faded, but red tulips have taken their place, and a few deep purple violets are sprinkled here and there. Such beauty!


The picture below was taken a week or so ago, along the river where not everything is blooming yet. It made me think of a poem.

Do any of you remember a children's poem from years back about the sky and wind and bare branches?  I thought I remembered one, but I couldn't find it, so I wrote the poem I'm about to share.  I'm just a little apprehensive about sharing it, but I figure that someone in this group will know the poem if there is one. If not, maybe it is my idea... or maybe I dreamed it...


If I were the Sky

If I were the sky

On a windy day

Watching bare branches

Writhe and sway

I'd turn my back to the trees and say

Could you, please,

You tallest of trees,

Scratch my itches away?

-- draft


It's Poetry Friday, and Jama Rattigan is hosting at Jama's Alphabet Soup.  Don't miss the fun!






9 comments:

  1. Love your poem, Karen. Last line is so charming! Sorry, don't remember the other poem you're referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Karen; that final 'ask' is full of glee! I don't remember a poem like this, either. Maybe it's just your own idea from a long while ago?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! The trees really do scratch away our itches sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great ending--scratching those itches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do look like they could do a good job of scratching, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be the neighborly thing to do! I have thought this week about how the trees brush up against the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely poem, Karen, and I enjoyed your early spring photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't remember the poem, Karen, but will dig around. Your new poem is fabulous! Scratch away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, am loving the new spring blossoms. Your forsythia seems just right to my hungry eyes. I love its spikey-ness. Now for the poem. I have a book of very old poems and it is the kind that might be there. I will try to look for it. We have an exuberant library! I think we are a similar vintage, but no I have not heard of this one. I just stumbled on this site not sure how or why this am, but they seem to have older poems....so maybe worth a look there.https://discoverpoetry.com/poems/
    Janet Clare F.

    ReplyDelete