Friday, November 22, 2019

Giving thanks for bread


We'll be baking bread next week, taking it to a Thanksgiving dinner on Tuesday evening. I admit that it is my hubby who has the knack for making and baking dough. I am the support team. And also a grateful recipient.




Breadmaking is in both our families. My mother was an excellent baker, and my father sold flour by the carload for Nebraska Consolidated Mills, traveling the eastern third of the United States to sell to bakeries there.  Anna, hubby Chris' grandmother, was the baker in his family, and now Chris. The mixing of the dough, the magic of the swelling sponge, the dextrous hands that shape the loaves.... even the old bowls and spoons bring back rich memories. And so... this poem:


The Earthenware Bowl

The earthenware bowl
Thick-walled and ample
Wears a wide blue stripe
And sits in a warm nook
Like a well-loved grandma,
Shoulders wrapped,
Gently cradling tomorrow’s bread.

© Karen Eastlund
  


My best to you and yours as you share family traditions and feasts this coming week.







6 comments:

  1. Special memories bring happy Thanksgivings for sure, Karen. I love hearing about your baking memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What special memories that bowl holds. Enjoy breaking bread with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The imagery of your poem made me smile. I would love to try to make bread sometime, but it seems to time intensive! I remember a time that my mom baked 5 loaves and left the on the counter to cool. Our huge mastiff came in and ate every single one of them. Mom was definitely not happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mother must really love that dog! The time needed for this type of bread is not as long as some. The dough sits in the fridge for 2 days, then you let it rise once and bake it. It does take planning and patience, but so worth it! Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. My bread bowl broke ages ago, but I still have my mother in law's. It has a crack in it, but I can't seem to get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such heartwarming memories, Karen! Your poem captures them with warmth and love. I've never made bread (yet) but I make pizza and pasta dough sometimes. I am thankful that I learned this art from my mom.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Karen!

    Cory

    ReplyDelete