Saturday, March 2, 2019

January 1928



Jan 1 – New Year’s Day – 1 below zero
Pretty cold, but we all went over to Raymonds and ate turkey and chicken. Ervin and Alice Young were there. Anita & Elmer came home about 3:30 & Doris & Emil & kids & I stayed until after supper & Raymond brought us home. It was a lovely moonlight night & we didn’t get cold either. Both Margarette & baby were very restless all night.

Jan 2 – Monday - 20 below
The coldest morning we have had. I washed all of Doris’ & kids’ clothes. Emil walked to Burr Oak and went home. It was a bright nice day but cold. Margarette has more cold.

Jan 3 – Tuesday – 8 below
Bright and nice. We hustled around and packed up & Elmer took us to B. O. & Emil met us & we got to Spring Grove about noon. They were cleaning up and getting ready for a big feed for they had the baby baptized at 5:30 and named her Marion Doris. We had a swell feed and was tired enough when bed time came.  Doris, baby, Margarette & I slept downstairs in one room.

Jan 4 – Wednesday
Warmer again but snowing a little.  We got up a little after six & got started a little before nine, had a flat tired at La Crescent & he fixed it and we got to Red Wing about 2 & Olga made us stop for lunch & we got to Minneapolis at 5 & stayed at John Newhouse and the night was a regular nightmare for Margarette was to sleep with Doris and I and she kicked so that we couldn’t sleep and the baby wouldn’t sleep in the crib so we changed them around and slept from 2 until morning.

Jan 5 – Thursday
Nice & warm. We didn’t get up until after 8 so didn’t get started until nearly 10 but got home at 2.  It was lovely riding but we were glad when we got here & got something ready to eat & the house cleaned up.

Jan 6 – Friday – In Isle
A lovely warm day. I washed & didn’t get through until about 12, after dinner I mopped both floors. Doris cleaned up the rooms & took care of the kids & put things away.  Emil took Margarette for a ride on Mildred Church’s sled.

Jan 7 – Saturday – Isle
Just as nice as yesterday. We got up pretty late but we did the ironing & some cleaning & went for a little ride up north. Emil took Margarette with him up town & up to school house. Miss Bede was here a while to see the baby. Doris & Emil walked up town in evening. I got a letter from Anita & a whole bundle of cards & letters.

Jan 8 – Sunday – Isle
Cloudy & foggy all day but warm. We were home all day and no one came but Mildred Church was over twice to see if Margarette couldn’t go out & play. But she was asleep. I wanted Emil & Doris to go to movie in evening but Doris wouldn’t go. Margarette was sick all night. I guess she ate too much chicken. We cooked two that Luella gave us.

Jan 9 – Monday – Isle
A beautiful day. I washed. Margarette didn’t feel very good all day, her teeth are hurting her. In afternoon Doris cleaned her bedroom & Mrs. Baeck and old Mrs. Baeck were here. Doris served lunch. They went home about 4:30. Emil took Margarette up town just before supper.

Jan 10 – Tuesday – Isle
Another lovely day. I ironed and made cookies and Doris cleaned up the house.

Jan 11 – Wednesday – Isle
Very nice day, the warmest one yet. We had Margarette take a good long sleep in forenoon & Emil got the car out for us at noon & we went over to Halla’s (?) & had a very good visit & she served lunch for us. The baby had colic until nearly midnight.

Jan 12 – Thursday – Isle
Nice again. We just did the housework & Doris washed a suit of Emil’s & cleaned my bedroom. After school we drove over to Wakkon for Castoria for the baby but she had colic worse than ever until 10:30.

Jan 13 – Friday – Isle
Cloudy and a little colder. I washed. Nellie Haggberg was here in afternoon & we served lunch & then Emil, Doris & Margarette went up town. I got letters from Anita, Hazel, Mrs. Hanson & Vere. Emil went to community meeting at schoolhouse & then played basketball with the town team so didn’t get home until 12 o’clock.

Jan 14 – Saturday – Isle
Rainy in morning & turned to snow. We were very busy all day as four of the teachers were here to supper… they came at 5 & stayed until 8.  Doris & Emil went to a show & I stayed with the kids.

Jan 15 – Sunday, 4 below – Isle
Cloudy & colder. Mr. & Mrs. Barsness & two kids were here to dinner & until 5 o’clock. Mrs. Church & Mildred came over & asked us over to supper so we went & got home at 8.

Jan 16 – Monday – Isle
A dark day & sort of sleety in morning but wind turned to west. I did a big washing, after dinner I went up town and then over to Halla’s & Mrs. H. & I went over on the lake to a cottage they have on an Island. I was very tired & went to bed at 8:30 with Margarette.  Emil went to basketball practice. The baby was very fretful until 12.

Jan 17 – Tuesday – Isle
A lovely day & thawed. I ironed & took Margarette for a ride on the sled after dinner. The man came & put a telephone in. We weighed the baby & she weighs 10 ½ lbs & will be six weeks tomorrow.

Jan 18 – Wednesday – Isle
A lovely day but colder than yesterday, very frosty in morning. I washed again & brought the clothes in toward night. Emil, Doris & Margarette went up town about 5 & we made ice cream for supper. He went to basketball practice. I didn’t get to sleep until after 12. It snowed a little.

Jan 19 – Thursday – Isle
I got up at 5 & fixed lunch for me & we went up to bus station at 20 to 7 & the bus was ready to go. Emil carried my suitcase for me. I got in Minneapolis at 10:45 & left at 11:30 on the train but got on the train about 11. It got very stormy & blizzardy & when I changed at LaCross it was fierce. They thought the train would not get through. I got off at Prosper & the agent told me Luella had called & said for me to go to Canton & stay as it was too bad to come after me.  Ezra Reed carried my suitcase to Frank’s or I would have had to asked some one as I could not have got there alone. I was quite cold & chilled after riding in the warm cars.

Jan 20 – Friday
Quite cold this morning but the wind isn’t so bad today. I stayed to Frank’s for dinner & Elmer came just after noon so we got home before three & I was glad to get here.
Paul & Myrtle Luell had a baby boy born today. LuVerne came over  stayed all night while they went to a dance.

Jan 21 – Saturday – Prosper
Very nice today. Elmer went to Burr Oak & LuVerne rode home with him.  Anita & I went to sleep in afternoon. We went to bed quite early.

Jan 22 – Sunday
Very nice but a cold wind. We went over to Raymonds with a buggy & it broke down with us so we had to bring Raymond’s buggy home. Anita was sick half the night & threw up three or four times. Connie Ward went back to the hospital this afternoon.

Jan 23 – Monday
Nice but a cold wind. Elmer went to Canton after coal. I sewed all day. I got a letter from Doris & they had the blizzard there too.



Jan 24 – Tuesday
Nice day but terribly windy. Elmer went to Burr Oak, took 8 ½ doz eggs and got 30cts per doz. I got a letter from Hazel today. Vere & Dorothy Kelly went home with LuVerne & stayed all night. I talked to Mrs. Price today & she said Lillie was getting along as well as could be expected.

Jan 25 – Wednesday
Nice in morning but clouded over & was pretty cold afternoon. Anita & I went over to Raymonds when Elmer went to help saw. We got home at 2:30. The wind was a fright before night.

January 26 –Thursday
Not so windy as yesterday but quite cold. Elmer went to B.O. and brought the car home & took a calf to Canton. Eda Wade rode down with him and went home about 4. Got a letter from Doris.

January 27 – Friday
Very cold day. We were going to Decorah but it was too cold. I washed the colored clothes & we ironed. We didn’t do anything but shiver & shake & try to keep warm.

Jan 28 – Saturday – 10 below
Pretty cold, but the wind didn’t blow. Elmer went to B.O. in afternoon & Amelia rode home with him. I should have gone over to Allie’s but thought it was too cold.

Jan 29 – Sunday
Some warmer & the sun shone nice all day. We made ice cream & I ate so much of everything for dinner so had stomach ache all evening. Anita popped some corn & that helped some.

Jan 30 – Nice day & Elmer & I went to Decorah about 10 o-clock. I paid $75 on notes & the int(erest)… so altogether it amounted to $103.  Went down to see Lilly & was there about 2 hours. They haven’t anyone there to do the work.

Jan 31 – Tuesday
Not a very nice day. Elmer went to Burr Oak & Anita sent a pie & some potatoes to the Wolfenbergers as the Club Girls have to help keep them. We washed but didn’t hang the clothes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment