Friday, March 15, 2019

Balance

On any given morning, as our coffee brews, I can glance at my husband and see him standing on one foot, the other foot slightly raised, a look of concentration on his face. He’s working on balance. It’s a quiet practice, but important. If I join him and take the tree pose I’ve learned in yoga, he’ll snort to suggest I’m a show off, and he’ll continue his work.  Balance requires work.

Evidence of balance is all around us. Day turns to night, night turns to day. We breathe in and out, in and out. The seasons turn warm, then cold. Don’t forget your checkbook! Balance is of utmost importance.

We find beauty in balance. Consider the ballet a dancer, the scales of justice, or the flavors of a savory stew. These all depend on balance. 



Yet even though we see examples of balance all around us, and even though we admire it, balance is really tricky. We can’t just achieve balance. It requires constant tending.

I am not in perfect balance. My faith helps me see that I need help with that.  Every day I need recalibrating, practice, and reliance on God.  The best I can do is offer you my own recipe, which turned into an open ended list… please add your own gifts.

Recipe for Balance
Put God first
Begin with Prayer:
   Praising God, Confessing, Thanking, and Asking God’s help
Accept a big dose of Forgiveness
Forgive others
Hope for the best
Be Courageous
Always Search for Truth
Open your heart and mind
Read for inspiration and direction
Find People to love and challenge you
Work at something that brings you joy
Seek beauty
Enjoy nature
Throw all the above in the air and practice keeping them off the floor!
Be at peace even when you fail

Wherever you are in your spiritual journey, I wish you peace, joy, and hope.

Jeremiah 29:11 New International Version (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment