Saturday, April 29, 2023

2023 Progressive Poem is HERE!

 It's Saturday, April 29th, and the Progressive Poem is HERE!  April is National Poetry Month, and the wonderful poets of the Poetry Friday community take turns adding lines to a poem that emerges/progresses over the month. This lovely tradition was started by Irene Latham and is currently curated by Margaret Simon. My thanks to both of them for this opportunity. This is my second time to participate, and both times I have signed up for the penultimate line. Whether I'm brave or foolish, it's too late now, the challenge is on...

There are few rules other than the poem must be for children, and previous lines cannot be changed without permission from the poet. So... here we are, almost at the end of the month, and below you can find the poem so far.

My line is added in red at the end.  Michelle Kogan will add the last line tomorrow. You can see the list of poets and their websites at the bottom of the page. 



Suddenly everything fell into place
like raindrops hitting soil and sinking in.

When morning first poked me, I’d wished it away
my mind in the mist, muddled, confused.

Was this a dream or reality, rousing my response?
The sun surged, urging me to join in its rising,

Rising like a crystal ball reflecting on morning dew.
I jumped out of bed, ready to explore the day.

My feet pull me outside and into the garden
Where lilies and bees weave…but wait! What’s that?

A bevy of bunnies jart and dart and play in the clover.
A dog barks and flash, the bunderstorm is over.

I breathe-brave, quiet. Like a seed,
as the day, foretold in my dream, ventured upon me.

Sunbeams guided me to the gate overgrown with wisteria
where I spotted the note tied to the gate.

As I reached the gnarled gate, pollen floated like fairy dust into my face. Aaah Choo!
Enter, if you must. We’ve been waiting for you.

Not giving the curious note a thought, I pushed the gate open and ran through.
Stopped in my tracks, eyes wide in awe—can this really be true?

Huge mushrooms for tables, vines twined into chairs,
A flutter of fairies filled flowery teawares 

With glazed nut cakes and apple blossom tea,
I heard soft whispers from behind a tree. Oh my! They had been “waiting for me!”

Still brave, but cautious, I waited for them.
Forested friends filled the glade. “You’ve arrived! Let the reverie begin!”

I laughed as my bare feet danced across the dew-soaked grass,
matching the beat of paws, claws, and wings—around me, above me.

Tea cakes and hugs, twice all around, then silly games and races 'til the sun slid down



Here are the poets and their links. And now, on to Michelle Kogan for the final line. Take it away, Michelle!


April 1 Mary Lee Hahn, Another Year of Reading

April 2 Heidi Mordhorst, My Juicy Little Universe

April 3 Tabatha, The Opposite of Indifference

April 4 Buffy Silverman

April 5 Rose Cappelli, Imagine the Possibilities

April 6 Donna Smith, Mainely Write

April 7 Margaret Simon, Reflections on the Teche

April 8 Leigh Anne, A Day in the Life

April 9 Linda Mitchell, A Word Edgewise

April 10 Denise Krebs, Dare to Care

April 11 Emma Roller, Penguins and Poems

April 12 Dave Roller, Leap Of Dave

April 13 Irene Latham Live You Poem

April 14 Janice Scully, Salt City Verse

April 15 Jone Rush MacCulloch

April 16 Linda Baie, TeacherDance

April 17 Carol Varsalona, Beyond Literacy Link

April 18 Marcie Atkins

April 19 Carol Labuzzetta at The Apples in My Orchard 

April 20 Cathy Hutter, Poeturescapes

April 21 Sarah Grace Tuttle,  Sarah Grace Tuttle’s Blog,

April 22 Marilyn Garcia

April 23 Catherine,  Reading to the Core

April 24 Janet Fagal, hosted by Tabatha, The Opposite of Indifference

April 25 Ruth, There is no Such Thing as a God-Forsaken Town

April 26 Patricia J. Franz, Reverie

April 27 Theresa Gaughan, Theresa’s Teaching Tidbits

April 28 Karin Fisher-Golton, Still in Awe Blog

April 29 Karen Eastlund, Karen’s Got a Blog

April 30 Michelle Kogan Illustration, Painting, and Writing



14 comments:

  1. Sorry I was late for some of you. I decided to change some words at the last minute... hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dancing, I was hoping for some dancing and on that dewy grass, so soft and lush. Abandon and the newness of this day. Oh the ending. What might I say? What might I write? It's fun to ponder. The magic of a secret garden and a day of delight. Eager to see what Michelle has in store!!! Janet Clare F.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really became quite a festive event! I love the double round of goodies and hugs, and it's a very nice line to say aloud. I'm excited to see how Michelle finishes this up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fun and the time taken included, and "twice all around", an exciting aura, Karen! Now I too wonder what's next! Go, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this poem is ending with joy, joy, joy. The sounds in this line are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love "Teacakes and hugs, twice all around"! Our poem is coming to such a joyful end. I can't wait to see the last line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, well done getting to the setting sun, and I love the way you said it "'til the sun slid down." Beautiful and action-packed line.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen, thanks for your inviting line! I'm picking up the closing line tomorrow and want to know if I may add a comma at the end of your line? My email is: michellekogan@michellekogan.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tea cakes and hugs and "till the sun slid down" - such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww! Hugs, games, and races with forested friends! The best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a party! Is it "tea, cakes and hugs (apple blossom tea, glazed nut cakes), or is it teacakes and hugs"? Either way it's inviting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Heidi... I guess it should have been teacakes... I liked the flow without a comma.

      Delete
  12. Mmmm, teacakes! Nice line!

    ReplyDelete