Friday, December 16, 2022

A Frost Poem


 I don't know about your weather, but yesterday here in New Jersey showered us with a wintry mix, and gave me license to paraphrase that curmudgeonly old phrase: Not a fit day for man or beast.  Where did it come from?  Find the answer HERE. 

I did go out for a quick walk, but aside from that, it was an indoor day. (A cookie baking day. I can't complain.) Nonetheless, I came across this poem that I had stored up for just such a day, and now I will share it with you. 



Dust of Snow

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.

  --Robert Frost  
this poem is in the public domain






Many thanks to Karen Edmiston for hosting today's Poetry Friday. She shares a poem and thoughts about kindness.  You can find her post HERE>

Have a good week, everyone!  


7 comments:

  1. My husband - twice yesterday - was hit by that crow's dust of snow, right down the back of the neck! I love to bake on indoor days too - and read poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this poem. And, I just learned that one of my dear ones has a special connection to it. I'm going to send it to her. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, as I started setting up outdoor lights with my husband, I thought of those Long Island days in the past when we went out in very cold weather to put up our lights. This past week seemed milder than those days but the rain day kept everyone inside. I love baking at this time of year. Thanks for the background info on the W.C. Field quote. He was quite the comic. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that Robert Frost poem! The person in Carol L.'s post (in the video) is practically enacting it...though not with the crow. It's the simple things that can shake us from our moods and turn the day back to its glory. (Cookie baking, for example!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Frost poem and how you managed to work it into your musing. We are finally getting some cooler temperatures. It's feeling more like Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved this poem. Thank you for sharing it here today. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this little one from Frost. Thanks for reminding me of it. The way he succinctly captures the mood change — so lovely!

    ReplyDelete