Thursday, January 7, 2021

Good Gifts

Dear Friends:

Although the 12 Days of Christmas have just ended, still each day comes to us as a gift. 

Ornament carved by my brother, Paul Evenson, as he learned to carve acanthus leaves.

Scripture tells us that  "Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above." James 1:17  And although today comes with heavy weight attached to it, still I receive it with open hands. I feel subdued and confused, in need of quiet time...but still able to turn to God. I am thankful for those gifts.


Heart with quilt design from my sister-in-law, Cheryl

I often read The Writer's Almanac, and there I noticed this quote on Christmas and kept it for consideration. It speaks to me today...

The novelist Oren Arnold (books by this author) had the following Christmas gift suggestions: "To your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect."

All of the above are good gifts, and like today, they all challenge me. May they challenge you also.

Some of my favorite music to lighten the day:


I wish you good gifts.  -Karen








5 comments:

  1. Thank you! I love that verse in James and think of it often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwww, what a lovely, lovely post and a balm after all the tension we've taken on just in the first week of this year already. Thank you, Karen. I accept your gift of words and friendship. I look forward to walking alongside you this year. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good gifts, good music, a voice of reason. Thanks for this peaceful post. I needed it today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Karen - that quote by Arnold - it needs to be circulated far and wide. We cannot have healing and unity without it. The good gifts and good Giver are in my thoughts daily... James' words echo in my mind often. Every day is a gift, yes, and brings gifts; we must have eyes and spirits to see. How beautifully you open the portal and beckon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen, what a gift you gave me to start my day. Everything about your post brings me peace. The scripture quote is my favorite. I am sorry that I missed commenting last week. Be of peace!

    ReplyDelete