Friday, May 1, 2020

Sad News

Friends...

I've had sad news this week. My sister-in-law has died. Hers was not a Covid related death, but because of Covid her family could not visit her while in hospital. Lois had emergency surgery and had been moved from ICU when something agitated her and she died. She was 88.

Our grief is for a woman of great heart and talent. Along with her other chores, Lois made many many quilts, stitching the layers together by hand, giving them to family, church and beyond. We will miss her greatly. Lois was a lovely, lovely lady.


“The bustle in a house
The morning after death
Is solemnest of industries
Enacted upon earth,--
The sweeping up the heart,
And putting love away
We shall not want to use again
Until eternity”


― Emily Dickinson


from left: Juliana, me and Lois... The 9's
Taken at our 2019 family reunion

Big families are not in vogue these days, so you may be surprised to know that Lois, Juliana and I share the honor of being the 9th child in our respective families. In my case, I grew up with six brothers and three sisters. Out of a sense of amusement, I've started taking a photo with those I meet who are also 9th children. Hence the one above.

Me and my siblings...

Being the 9th out of 10, it is my part to survive the passing of siblings. That's the sad part...the hard part. But there have been many blessings to offset that sadness. I've enjoyed a wealth of family celebrations, photos, hugs, stories and more. How I have loved my family! Especially the stories... I'll be sharing more of them as time passes. 


Thanks to all who stopped by this week to read the story about my dad being a hero during the 1918 influenza outbreak.  In case you missed it, click here.


Thanks to Elizabeth Steinglass for hosting Poetry Friday today. You won't want to miss
her video.
Find her here.
  





13 comments:

  1. Dear Karen, I am very sorry for your and your family's loss. There is never a good time to say goodbye and in this case, being kept from the hospital makes it even more sad. I didn't know you were the ninth child, wow! And love that you found that family bond with Lois, Juliana, too! You must have had fun memories to share between your families. Hugs to you at this sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lois sounds very dear, and I'm sorry for your loss. Your Emily Dickinson poem is a good pick. I always enjoy your family stories, Karen--glad you are writing them down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I'm so sorry for your family's loss and so sorry you couldn't visit and be together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, I'm very sorry you couldn't be with Lois as she passed. Emily Dickinson has the words even when we don't. Be easy on your 9th child self. Remember Lois with fondness...every memory a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Karen, I'm so sorry for your loss. This is such an awful time to lose someone close, with the isolation on top of the loss itself. I am glad Lois was so loved. Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for your loss Karen. Never easy to say goodbye - but to have to make those goodbyes at this time is especially difficult. Hugs across the miles. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Condolences to you and your family. What a hard time to grieve when you can't be together. Sounds like Lois lived a big, rich life and her love lives in your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your condolences, everyone. We loved Lois and she will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very sorry to hear about Lois. The Dickinson poem is perfect (why I hadn't I seen it before?). Thanks for sharing the great photos -- my mom was one of 12 children, so I was lucky growing up with many aunts, uncles and cousins. Now only two of the siblings are left. How special to be part of such a big family -- number 9! I look forward to hearing more about your family memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss, Karen, especially under these difficult circumstances. I look forward to hearing more of your family stories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen,I add my sympathies to those listed here. It is doubly tragic that you were unable to visit Lois and now unable to grieve together as a family. Dickinson's poem is spare and true. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear of your loss, Karen. Lois sounds like a dear and lovely person, one who left good feelings and deeds in her wake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to for the loss of your sister-in-law, Karen. It sounds like you were able to share many celebrations through life together. This pandemic makes grieving so much harder.

    ReplyDelete